Thread: Killed my first LED

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Killed my first LED

Brand new Cree red/red/white and I got all medieval on one of the reds. However, I know what I did wrong and consider it a $20 electronics lesson.

Now granted I'm going back to the store soon but I still have this red/white LED and I'm wondering what the more resourceful among you would do with this other than trash it.

Use it in a saber. Red blade and white FoC.

Would it be safe to assume it will be half as bright as otherwise or is the number of LEDs to brightness not a linear relationship?

Since I've already maimed this die would it be a worthy risk to use a smaller resistor and try brightening up the one good red LED?

Oh and when you say red blade do you mean literally using a red day blade?

I just meant the red led as the main blade color. I have two MR conversions that only use single die leds and they are plenty bright

Not necessarily half as bright, more like 2/3rds or 3/4's as bright.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

There are low tech ways of replacing the burned out LED if you are feeling courageous.