Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apsara, The Truth of Movement

Default Apsara, The Truth of Movement

Presenting Apsara, the Truth of Movement.

1.25" sink tube main body
    1.5" sink tube shroud/grip
    sump hose grip
    grid drain pommel cap with d-ring, charge port and leave in kill key
    19mm av switch with 1" chromed steel button sleeve (from closet rod) and knurled flashlight surround
    TCSS Blue Cree XP-E2
    TCSS 1.25" sink tube blade holder
    TCSS 1" premium speaker
    Arduino Nano core with DFPlayer sound and WS2812 chip to control LED animations, clash sensor from BladeBuilder board, swing sensor from spare parts.
    18650 battery

Originally built as a $20 hardware store hilt for my girlfriend for May 4th, rebuilt for her birthday. The electronics were originally a Hasbro BB board, but that died so I spent the afternoon cobbling electronics from parts on hand. The swing sensor is a tilt switch I had from an unrelated parts kit that "works" but triggers way too easily. Used the clash sensor from the Blade Builder board works well enough. I'll probably upgrade the sensors to a gyro/accelerator at some point or just pick up a Nano Biscotte. Only really used the WS2812 because there wasn't a great way of using PWM to control the blade LED with parts on hand, plus I already had the code from building my hilt (reveal coming SOON).

When I get a chance, I'll post some follow up photos of the internals which is a functional chassis made from random scraps that works remarkably well.
    Last edited by jbkuma; 09-07-2016 at 08:20 AM.

very nice!

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Blog Entries

Like it
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Oooh! Shiny. I like

Thanks guys

As promised, here is it's high tech chassis:

A scrap of 1" PEX from prototyping my hilt, Pathfinder, and a piece of the Blade Builder blade that my pipe cutter definitely wouldn't cut, but makes an excellent speaker holder and fits comfortably on the end of the PEX.

This is a pretty good looking hardware saber. Built your own sound solution, eh? I'm into that sort of thing. Wouldn't mind a closer look at your setup. Getting home brew solutions to fit is always a little more challenging and your hilt doesn't look overly long, so good job on that!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSoft View Post
    This is a pretty good looking hardware saber. Built your own sound solution, eh? I'm into that sort of thing. Wouldn't mind a closer look at your setup. Getting home brew solutions to fit is always a little more challenging and your hilt doesn't look overly long, so good job on that!
    Thanks! I've been following your work, although mostly for inspiration. I've been doing all of my own coding. Since this was a cut and paste from my personal hilt development, it's a bit of a mess.

All of the electronics are crammed in the area north of the battery. There is really no more room at all unless I ditch the battery holder and shorten the leads, making it a huge pain to take apart.