Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mutton Shunter - Steampunk inspired saber

Default Mutton Shunter - Steampunk inspired saber (New Finished Pics Added)

Well, let me start by saying, it's really good to be back! I've taken a long time off and I finely find myself in a good place to dive back into this wonderful hobby.

My first real build in about 7 years. I'd say it's about 85% complete, I just couldn't wait anymore and had to share some pics. Most of the work left is fit and finish stuff so this is technically just a test fit, but I'm loving where it's going.

The only stuff purchased specifically for this build were the electronics. All hilt materials were found materials I had laying about. The only TCSS part of the hilt is a scratch and dent Anakin MR conversion blade holder that is fairly modified. Everything else is as follows:

GGW TriCree
    NB v3 with Ancient Saber and Necrovolt soundfonts from Novastar via Saberfont.com
    3.7v Panasonic LiIon TCSS battery pack
    3v electric motor powering the spinning acrylic crystal
    TCSS PLI

Anyway, enough talking here's the pics

Thanks for looking, I'll be posting some more glamorous pictures and a video showing the awesome fonts and spinning crystal in action once its all pretty and complete. MTFBWY
    Last edited by Darth Leximus; 08-13-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Spinning crystal? Are you the first to do this? Sounds cool! Nice use of parts, in particular the grill and the kill key.

I've never heard of it being done before so I hope I'm the first. Kill key and the brass ball were old faucet parts. Grill is a drain screen from same faucet, that I torched to get the effect. Pommel is a candle snuffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Leximus View Post
    I've never heard of it being done before so I hope I'm the first. Kill key and the brass ball were old faucet parts. Grill is a drain screen from same faucet, that I torched to get the effect. Pommel is a candle snuffer.
    Not sure who did it but I did see a YouTube video of a motorized chamber that had the cooling fin details rotate around the crystal.

Lovin' that steam punk look and the name Sounds like a euphamism

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Not sure who did it but I did see a YouTube video of a motorized chamber that had the cooling fin details rotate around the crystal.
    Yes it was/is done. Youtube video..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azjmAvSdXXs

Also its a very cool looking saber bro....well done.

Looks awesome! Love the steampunk theme and the grills on the crystal chamber.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

I figured I wasn't the first to have the idea but that being said, his is completely different (and I admit much cooler) than mine. In the shunter the crystal itself spins and spins fast! It gives the saver an extra layer of realness to the hum and makes it feels mechanical and alive in the hand. Also with the extended power on and off sounds of these 2 fonts it really gives a feeling of the saber shutting down and coming to life.

Beautiful work. Looks like it could be a cousin of my Pathfinder which should be at a functional yet incomplete built point this weekend

This thing is an an absolute beast, and I love it!
    Well done, and welcome back to the obsession, i mean hobby!