Thread: Resistor check appreciated. Need to order soon.

Default Resistor check appreciated. Need to order soon.

Hey all. Sorry for re-posting. Wanted to double check my resistors before I got them.

For 5mm RGB common cathode (crystal chamber) wired to PWM signals, each with a FV of 3.3 and run at 18ma:
    Red lead 2.0v 18ma: 82ohm 1/8th watt
    Green lead 3.2v 18ma: 5.6ohm 1/8th watt
    Blue lead 3.2v 18ma: 5.6ohm 1/8th watt

For two 12mm AV switch LEDs, blue and green, each with FV of 3.0v and run at 20ma:
    Blue LED 3.0v 20ma: 15ohm 1/8th watt
    Green LED 3.0v 20ma: 15ohm 1/8th watt

No resistors for MAIN LEDs. Tri-Cree XP-E2.

Can I use the 82ohm 1/4 watt resistors from the store or do they need to be 1/8 watt? Thanks!!

You can always go bigger, never smaller so that resistor is fine. Wattage refers to how much heat they can dissipate before breaking down and overheating.

Most 5mm RGB I've seen have a 3-3.4v range for green and blue. Would it be ok to go with a "no resistor" option for these two channels?

Quote Originally Posted by Rawdo View Post
    Most 5mm RGB I've seen have a 3-3.4v range for green and blue. Would it be ok to go with a "no resistor" option for these two channels?
    Usually, a minimal resistor is a good idea, as it is an "insurance policy" against accidentally popping the LED, unless you like replacing those LEDs.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

And I assume accent LEDs end-up most of the time glued in a tight place, so not so much fun to replace..
    I'll add a few 0.45ohm resistors to my wishlist then, they should be handy once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawdo View Post
    And I assume accent LEDs end-up most of the time glued in a tight place, so not so much fun to replace..
    I'll add a few 0.45ohm resistors to my wishlist then, they should be handy once in a while.
    Mostly, but that really depends on the builder.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com