Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Li-ion pack differences

Default Li-ion pack differences

Hi guys, just had a quick question.

What are the main differences between the 18650 pack and the 14500 pack? Obviously the run times will be different, and one the one is a larger size, but is there anything else to consider?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P699.aspx

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P725.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Animus View Post
    Hi guys, just had a quick question.

What are the main differences between the 18650 pack and the 14500 pack? Obviously the run times will be different, and one the one is a larger size, but is there anything else to consider?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P699.aspx

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/74...Pack-P725.aspx
    You hit the highlights.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks, I always get a little nervous when the answer seems too simple, haha

I was wondering do they discharge the same current? There's a PCB in the store that says it prevents the battery from discharging more then 7A. Do the 18500 7.4v packs discharge this high?
    I can light a small city with my board

Quote Originally Posted by Star Bird View Post
    I was wondering do they discharge the same current? There's a PCB in the store that says it prevents the battery from discharging more then 7A. Do the 18500 7.4v packs discharge this high?
    They both have the PCB built in. you only need that if it specifically does not say "PCB Protected" in the part description.

Neither of them discharge that high.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Taki117 View Post
    They both have the PCB built in. you only need that if it specifically does not say "PCB Protected" in the part description.
    I understand they do not need to be PCB . I'm wondering what rate do they discharge at?

I understand they do not need to be PCB . I'm wondering what rate do they discharge at?
    A good rule of thumb is basically use the mA rating (so 2800 would be roughly 2.8A), smaller packs can go a bit higher. But with that said, I have never seen any single cells go over 3A for any length of time without tripping the PCB.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 06-18-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Thanks for the info on the discharge rate. I was wondering about that when I was looking at wire connector options. I went for a minimum 5A just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    A good rule of thumb is basically use the mA rating (so 2800 would be roughly 2.8A), smaller packs can go a bit higher. But with that said, I have never seen any single cells go over 3A for any length of time without tripping the PCB.
    But the 18500 1400mAh battery should be able to handle a (PC) with 2 crees in series @1A and flash in clash with a PEX resistored to give the 3rd Led the right voltage and 1A? Without tripping of course