Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My first saber build for my sith character Darth Malefica

Default My first saber build for my sith character Darth Malefica

Being a woman and not having overly large hands I have always been frustrated with the large grip size of most light sabers I've seen. Also most of the dark themed stuff mostly seems too clunky and massive. So I decided to design something that fits my hand well and has a certain degree of elegance while still feeling fairly dark.

And I'm pleased to say that ( at least for me) my results are just what I set out to do. I still need to order a crystal focus board and a few internal parts yet. I have also built an internal chassis with a crystal but I'll post photos of that once the electronics are installed.

The main parts are TCSS components which I have modified a bit. I also used various brass parts and a rosewood ring which I hand carved for mounting the activation and aux buttons on.

Anyway here are a few photos of the saber in its current state:

Last edited by Tahn Zelik; 05-21-2015 at 02:36 AM.

That's beautiful, and very Sithy. Very well done!

Intriguing. I am curious how you mounted those bits on the emitter? Did you use epoxy?
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

This is beautiful. The rosewood really sets it apart and the emitter is awesome. I've been toying with similar design issues trying to plan a build for my son. Can't wait to see this with the internals finished.

Really cool look! I like all the custom bits you did with the blade holder. And the wood really sets it apart too!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Wow. Those claws are...oddly not claw-like. I love it. The wood is gorgeous as well. I'm curious how the extension feels as a hand grip. As a guy with small-ish hands, I've considered it.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Very nice. I like the greeblies a lot, understated but add a lot of character... and the wood trim is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
    That's beautiful, and very Sithy. Very well done!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Tahn Zelik; 05-21-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Intriguing. I am curious how you mounted those bits on the emitter? Did you use epoxy?

No, I used a jeweler's piercing saw and cut three small channels into the blade holder about 3/16" deep and just wide enough for the three blade parts to fit snugly into. Then I used a rectangular punch and a small hammer to force the parts into the slots. This also had the effect of slightly spreading them into the slots making them fit tightly. Essentially they're inlaid... No glue needed =)
    Last edited by Tahn Zelik; 05-21-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoJoe View Post
    Wow. Those claws are...oddly not claw-like. I love it. The wood is gorgeous as well. I'm curious how the extension feels as a hand grip. As a guy with small-ish hands, I've considered it.
    Thanks for the kind words. The long choke is a perfect fit for my hand and I love the feel of the extension piece for a left hand grip... Still fairly small and the fluting gives it a nice positive grip.
    Last edited by Tahn Zelik; 05-21-2015 at 06:25 PM.