Thread: Guess who's back

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guess who's back

Wow, it's been a decade* since I was active here! Hello fellow nerds, the rock 'n roll guitar playing one is back!

"He's not dead...not yet"

The reason I've been away for so long is because in 2007, I had near-death experience #7. Some of you may have heard about that (probably not). I have no recollection of what actually happened, just woke up in a hospital a month later after being in a coma the entire time (best vacation I've ever had). In fact, was within 30 minutes of not even being here to post this message. A morning garbage-truck crew found my unconscious body at 4AM in a pool of blood next to a dumpster. I can only hope one of them commented "Aww, looks like somebody threw away a perfectly good white boy!" I've had to re-learn a lot of stuff, including guitar. Un-learned what I learned, I did (can actually play better now!)

Hyperspace to 2017.

My brother and I are making a sequel to our Star Wars homage we made in high school way back in 1990- SAD SAGA. At the time it was us shooting our own acting/cheesy homemade props and effects over the original SW soundtrack (we had a video camera that would let you dub either JUST video or audio separately). It was hilariously bad...imagine a Datsun B210 hatchback flying through outer space and you get the idea ("What a piece of junk!")

This new project is going to stay true to the spirit of the original: All in-camera visual effects (no CGI trickery whatsoever), and only using what we have on hand to improvise with. For example, we're converting/disguising my car (a Mr2 convertible) to look like a landspeeder using brown paper grocery bags and empty plastic vodka bottles for the jet engines.

Here's an early/rough saber test we filmed 2 nights ago. Using LED sabers when filmed at 24fps gives the authentic movie look of the o.g. trilogy. I've always thought that analog effects beat digital any day of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYh0mbDw-4M

Not going to start a Kickstarter campaign or anything, we already have pretty much everything we need to get this project rolling. TCSS hasn't carried EL wire in years, but if there are any members here who have some old EL wire/inverters they don't use any more, that stuff would come in immeasurably handy.
    Fat chance on that most likely, but it never hurts to ask.

My first post in 10 years after almost transforming into The Force was post #666. Spooky, eh? Maybe I'm destined to follow Anakin's path after all.
    *actually I did post some non-essential junk 7-8 years ago, not really counting those

Cheers,

"Like I was gonna let you take all the credit and get all the reward"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mi Gin Gonn; 03-30-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Red 3 standing by