Thread: Multiple Colors in LED strip blade

Question Multiple Colors in LED strip blade

After searching the forums it appears this question has not yet been asked:

I am doing a custom saber using the neopixel strips from the store and am planning on hooking these up to the NBv4 module that I have. For this specific design I am using a windowed emitter/blade holder and was wondering if it was possible to light the strip in two different colors to achieve a "power light" effect. Essentially, I want the blade to light a certain color on the first four LED units on each strip, and the remainder will be an entirely different color.

Is this possible using the NBv4?

Not possible with the NBv4. Back in the ancient history when I made one of the first pixel sabers, I used an NBv3 and used the blade and clash signals with an arduino to make custom lighting effects and pixel blade action. That's about the easiest thing you can do without going full custom.

You could potentially splice in a bit of the white/white/amber pixel strips at the beginning, the signalling is the same, they are just a different color from the standard pixel strips.

Quote Originally Posted by majs16 View Post
    After searching the forums it appears this question has not yet been asked:

I am doing a custom saber using the neopixel strips from the store and am planning on hooking these up to the NBv4 module that I have. For this specific design I am using a windowed emitter/blade holder and was wondering if it was possible to light the strip in two different colors to achieve a "power light" effect. Essentially, I want the blade to light a certain color on the first four LED units on each strip, and the remainder will be an entirely different color.

Is this possible using the NBv4?
    There are open source boards capable of doing this via programming. THey are far more complicated than an NBV4. I think you're asking too much out of a NBIV. Its a simple board. You're talking a complex blade, NBIV wasn't designed to do that sort of blade differentiation. You need a board that can allow sub-blades. Open source is the only thing I can think of that can do this. CFX might be able to, but I haven't researched whether or not CFX supports sub blades or not.

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thank you! I think for the time I will stick with single blade color. That being said I do have an extra teensy board lying around. Do you know the dimension specifications for the teensysaber module? (teensy + propshield)

Thank you! I may look into the splicing option