Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming ( Dread saber )

Default In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming ( Dread saber )

Hi all.
    Today I present Dread, my newest saber. It's been a long process on this one. Partly because of a move, and also the CF's were out of stock for awhile during the transition to CF9.
    Thanks to Darth Chasm for providing me with an engineering drawing of some of the internals for this build, was super helpful.

I was feeling Lovecrafty (?) one day and decided to put Cthulhu on a saber.

I'm not an expert by any means, and this one had lots of challenges. But I love it and I hope you do too.

The specs:

- MHS based with custom cut shroud pieces
    - Saltwater etching and finishing done by me in a Cthulhu design
    - GOTH3Designs crystal chamber in stainless steel and brass
    - Shtok chassis for CF9 and Cex
    - KR sabers high bass speaker
    - custom brass switch hats
    - 16mm rutilated quartz sphere
    - Solo's Hold TFUII pommel
    - Tri-cree R,G,rB
    - RBG accent led for crystal
    - Crystal Focus v9 with color extender
    - aqua accent led's installed within the claw mount, with brass inlays

Thanks you for looking!
    Darkmatter73

Video below

Thank you for looking!
    Darkmatter73
    Last edited by Darkmatter73; 03-25-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Love love love this saber!!

I see cues from Madcows Corran Horn and my 002! Nicely done.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Ohhh....yeeaaahh! I too love love love it. Gorgeous design well executed. Awesome etching as always.

Oh man, that is awesome! Those shrouds are great! Did you plate them, paint them? Awesome.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

There's definately some DCLS-002 in there, that one just spoke to me. Some Corran yes, and some Starkiller too. I just wanted my crystal visible all the time and not underneath.
    I actually have a Noah Drew galaxy marble, but it's not mine. I was a customer's, but I've not heard from him in over a year. I fear something terrible has happened.

Nothing plated on this, it's all paint tricks and whatnot =) The shape and placement of the shrouds are inspired by Darth Chasm and Space Windu.
    I always give credit where it's due.

One day I'll do another shiny saber for you Greenie! =)

Thanks very much guys
    Last edited by Darkmatter73; 03-25-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Holy smokes!! That is a wicked looking saber, Darkmatter. A true work of art, like so many of the sabers on this site. With the colors, the angled shrouds and that heavy pommel, it has a menacing scepter/mace feel to me. I saw DCLS-002 and I've wanted to steal the grooved shroud look too.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn... but when he wakes he comes out swinging this beauty.

I definitely need to order some knurled tubes. God man, that knurling, combined with the shroud work, and the color conrasts make the saber!

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Absolutely incredible work, DarkMatter! I love the blue-grey color from the saltwater etching. I'm aiming for a similar effect on my custom saber casing (Serene Resolve) by way of Ferric Chloride. We'll see how it goes. And yes I will be posting a build log, as well as entering in the 2018 Saber Build contest.

Was that just salt water etching, or salt + copper sulfate? And how long did you have it in the etching bath?

Also, I really like the overall design. Very industrial tool like. My spouse is going for a Snap-On tools look when it comes time to build her saber, so of course, she's planning on lots of knurling like you did. No tentacles though....
    Last edited by shinseiko; 03-26-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding something