Thread: My 1st Saber! - MWS Questions

Default My 1st Saber! - MWS Questions

This is my first saber build, so my wiring skills are untested, as such I would like to use the Modular Wiring System for most, if not all, of the hilt electronics. I plan on using the Pre-Wired NB and a the Pre-wired Rebel Star LED and will likely need to pay to have the 16 mm AV Momentary in Raw Brass wired. What I need now is a Speaker and power supply. I have downloaded the NB user manual which says I need to use a SINGLE Li-Ion battery (18650 or 14500) or 4x AA rechargeable NiMH batteries, however since I do not Need a rechargable saber, I would like to use store bought alkaline batteries instead.

So on to my questions:

Can I use Alkaline batteries with a NB soundboard? If so can I use the Pre-Wired 4x AAA Battery and speaker combo or the 2x AA battery and speaker combo

If I can not use either one of those, would I use the 3.7 V 18650 Li-Ion Battery and the Recharge port?

If I went with rechargeable Li-Ion I would need have to purchase the speaker and holder for it separately, which would add to the cost and also create another item that needs to be wired.

Please understand that I have limited skill at wiring and no tools to do so when answering. My goal is to have a complete saber at a reasonable price that I may upgrage later. I am not against the idea of a rechargable saber Im just not as comfortable with the technical details involved with them. I have added links to the items in the store I was thinking of using.

Thank you in Advance!

You cannot use alkaline, the power will be above or below power requirements.

Okay, here's a related question, because I was thinking about doing something similar for the first pass on my current sabre project. If you've got the pre-wired NB board and the pre-wired LED module, will you still need to fit a resistor in the circuit?

You would need a resistor.

You could get one of the male/female JST connectors in the store, like this one. Cut one of the wires (not both), and add the resistor.

@ Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers
    The best battery solution is the 3.7v 3400mAh 18650. But if you're dead set on chemical batteries, use the 4 AA battery holder with 3 AA batteries and the Dummy Cell.
    Last edited by Generic Jedi; 04-10-2017 at 04:30 PM.