Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideal hilt length?

Default Ideal hilt length?

Personally I like mine around 10", my first saber I built was 11 inches exactly and I thought it was a good length, although I would want a smaller one for my next saber, maybe between 9 and 10 inches.

Blog Entries

I prefer 10-11"
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Everyone is going to have a different answer to this question. I'm a fan of longer hilts, the one I'm currently working on (my first) is a custom Starkiller & it is 13.5", it has a really great balance with my heavy grade blade.

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Personally, I don't like to exceed 12". My hilts usually end up somewhere between 10" and 11.5".

I try to keep the hilt length proportional to the blade length and to keep one handed hilts shorter than two handed hilts but also depending on the preferred combat form.

So a Shoto or "Form Zero" training saber for Younglings with a 24" blade I like around 8-9" hilt length. A Form III Soresu two-handed defensive saber I like a bit longer than usual so that the extra weight along with the high grip helps speed recovery even with a long 38-40" blade therefore hilt length 12.5-14". A Form V Shien/Djem So or Form VII Juyo two handed offensive sabers I also like a bit longer for extra leverage power strikes with a 36-40" blade and 12.5-14" hilt. Form I Shii-Cho, Form IV Ataru or Form VI Niman two-handed general purpose sabers with 32"-34" blades I prefer hilt length around 12" but the Jar-Kai one-handed dual-wielding variant of Form VI Niman I prefer with 30" blades and matched 10-11" hilts for speed. Form II Makashi one-handed duelers that are curved don't have a straight length but if one used a straight hilt with that Form I'd prefer a 36" blade and 12" hilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    I try to keep the hilt length proportional to the blade length and to keep one handed hilts shorter than two handed hilts but also depending on the preferred combat form.

So a Shoto or "Form Zero" training saber for Younglings with a 24" blade I like around 8-9" hilt length. A Form III Soresu two-handed defensive saber I like a bit longer than usual so that the extra weight along with the high grip helps speed recovery even with a long 38-40" blade therefore hilt length 12.5-14". A Form V Shien/Djem So or Form VII Juyo two handed offensive sabers I also like a bit longer for extra leverage power strikes with a 36-40" blade and 12.5-14" hilt. Form I Shii-Cho, Form IV Ataru or Form VI Niman two-handed general purpose sabers with 32"-34" blades I prefer hilt length around 12" but the Jar-Kai one-handed dual-wielding variant of Form VI Niman I prefer with 30" blades and matched 10-11" hilts for speed. Form II Makashi one-handed duelers that are curved don't have a straight length but if one used a straight hilt with that Form I'd prefer a 36" blade and 12" hilt.
    This is great info Onli-Won...I really need to study the different forms a bit more

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

There are also practical and aesthetic concerns. Depending on what is going on your hilt and the design, you may need more internal space. On the other hand after mocking up one of my in progress builds in foam and paper I shortened it from 12" to 11" then to 10.5" What looked good in 2D looked clumsy in 3D.

I think aiming for 10"-12" is a good starting point, and be flexible to hit your design points.

I will be making my new saber this weekend and the length will be 8 1/2 inches. The main body OD is 1 1/8 inch. Will my diameter cause a problem?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkw1ng69 View Post
    I will be making my new saber this weekend and the length will be 8 1/2 inches. The main body OD is 1 1/8 inch. Will my diameter cause a problem?
    What do you plan on putting inside it? And more importantly, what is the ID you are working with?
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-04-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

The ID is 1 inch. 18650 batt, nvb3, with 36" blade.Tri rebel BBW