Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Micro USB charge port

Default Micro USB charge port

I have seen a few saber hear and there that use a Micro usb port for charging the battery. My current build does not have the space for a a switchcraft port so I was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction on hooking up the usb system for my saber.

It's a postage stamp sized board, you can find them all over the web.

I could be wrong but I think he means how to wire it up.

yeah mostly how to wire and thing like that, most of what I have seen is 5 pin type set ups, not sure what to do with all that

Do you actually want to charge using 5V USB, or do you want to use a micro-USB connector instead of the 2.1mm switchcraft connector, but still use a standard Li-Ion charger?

One thing you won't get with this kind of set up, is a kill key.

ideally I want to charge with the micro usb that way I can jut down on cables and possibly use a phone charger or something, dont need a kill key, figured I could keep a phone battery extender or something on my jedi belt to charge during cons.

you could get a small latching switch (slide switch or similar) if there is a concern about frying the board while charging..... i had been considering this at one point and had thought a bit about it. I have the parts- but did not get around to doing anything with them yet.

Should only need pins one and five.
    USBMini.JPG

Though I think you should take Avidgrant's suggestion and put a switch between the port and the electronics so that you can prevent charging and/or frying your electronics while trying to charge your battery.

There's a thread from earlier this year where it was done.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-cell-charger

Thanks Zzan and rlobrecht, that helps a lot, couldn't find that threat when searching. I remember now that I saw the micro usb chargers on the Ludo sport saber. Not sure how they do it, Ill read through that other thread thanks.