Thread: Battery Choice Question

Default Battery Choice Question

Hello,
    I am planning a build using a Prizm 4, and wanted to ask if is OK to use the 18500 protected battery that is here in the store. The Prizm manual says the 18650 or 14500 is recommended, but that little bit of a shorter length will help me fit everything in the hilt easier. Will the only difference (besides the physical length) be a shorter run time per charge? Or is there something else I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by bill_fimm View Post
    Hello,
    I am planning a build using a Prizm 4, and wanted to ask if is OK to use the 18500 protected battery that is here in the store. The Prizm manual says the 18650 or 14500 is recommended, but that little bit of a shorter length will help me fit everything in the hilt easier. Will the only difference (besides the physical length) be a shorter run time per charge? Or is there something else I am missing?
    For these batteries the number is the nominal, physical size. An 18500 is 18|50|0 meaning 18mm x 50mm round.

The 18500 is the circumference of the 18650 and length of the 14500. The actual measurements may vary based on the manufacturer, whether it's protected or not, etc. Otherwise, it's just a 3.7v lithium battery perfectly fine.

Awesome!! Thanks.. That little bit of extra room will allow me the Prizm instead of the NB... Thanks again.

You still want to make sure it's a protected cell (or provide protection PCB from TCSS) and a decent capacity. Make sure you are buying a reputable brand cell or else the capacity (mah) is probably a lie. A cheap cell may also not be able to output the power requirements for LEDs and sound card.

I am buying the protected one from the TCSS.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_fimm View Post
    I am buying the protected one from the TCSS.
    When I checked the shop for them I somehow missed that and only saw the 7.4v pack. Enjoy it in good health!

Thanks. I appreiciate it.