Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deep Etching

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter73 View Post
    Never!
    If I could find a PLI i could finish this one up.
    I've got a wanted thread over at FX, i wonder if they would allow that here if it was only parts offered at TCSS.
    Selling and trading are strictly forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatter73 View Post
    i wonder if they would allow that here if it was only parts offered at TCSS.
    No buying or selling of any kind.

I know. Just saying it wouldn't hurt to buy/trade only TCSS parts on their own forums.
    But I understand that we can't, and no worries. I love this place, much knowledge to be had.

One thing I like about the saltwater method (using a 12v car battery charger) is that is you accidently short out the leads is leaves a nice little burn that could second as a blaster deflection damage. The contact has to be brief though or you run the risk of blowing up battery charger or arc welding your lead to the piece your etching. Have not tried this method on TCSS shroud material, yet; only sink tube brass.
    Also trying out a gas, copper paint, silver paint and black paint mix for a weathering effect after laying down multi-methods of adding "battle dings and scratches". Using scotch guard pad, 300 grit, 600 grit wet and mill file to add to the "battle damage".
    Last edited by DarthSkummelavsky; 10-24-2016 at 03:24 PM.

When etching, is there any concern about the innards part of the saber..... I understand you want to protect the non etching portions of the outside, but what about the innards?

Yea anything you don't want etched(inside and out) will need to be protected with a resist of some type.

is there a danger in the innards getting mass etched? If so- what do people normally do with the innards to protect them?

First to be clear, the part being etched must NOT have anything inside of it. No electronics or anything else for that matter.

If the part being etched is of a tubular shape, is vertical, is touching the bottom of the container it is in and the top of that part is sticking out of the water, the innards won't get etched all that much. In fact in that situation, they won't get etched enough to alter the tolerances. However it is still a good idea to cover the inside with a resist and cover the ends. Not counting the resist being used for the design being etched, I use black vinyl tape tape to cover and protect the part. Since most parts are submerged, I tape a wire to the inside of the part (though I suppose taping the wire to the outside would work as long as it does not cover the area being etched). I then tape up the complete inside of a hilt by cutting long pieces of tape, dropping it through the hilt so that there is tape sticking out of both ends and then stick it to the inside of the tube. Once it's all taped up, I dab some hot glue where the wire exits the tape and hilt. I hope that helps.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I tried just taping the end that was submerged, and got leakage inside the part. You can barely tell that it was etched, but it is slightly different. My other mistake was getting the spot where I had attached the lead to the part wet. It burned a small dent, which doesn't look so great.

wait, you mean the disks and battery and soundboard should NOT be in while etching........ just kidding.