Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kill Switch Problem

Ok. My kill key definitly works, because the Deep Sleep LED goes out when I insert it. I have the saber apart now and am examining the wires real close for some bare copper, or something pinched... Next I will meter the port, make sure i get voltage on the leads going to the battery when i plug the charger into the port. If that's OK i am going to try swapping out the recharge port. I have another one here.. Thanks again for the help.

Well... think I found the problem.... I took the saber completely apart... this is what I found.....

I did have the charger port wired correctly.... but.... when I plugged the charger in and metered it, it was normal...

but when I metered the other negative pin that goes to the board... VOLTAGE!!!! not supposed to be there(even though its just a little).. right???

Maybe this little bit of voltage leaking through my recharge port was enough to just give the main LED's a quick dim flash when I pulled the kill key.

When I metered the spare recharge port that I have, I got this....
    Here's the negative to the battery...

And here's the negative to the board...

NOTHING THERE!! Think I found it,,, Maybe I damaged the port/leads as I crammed it in my hilt.. lol
    Do you think this could be it???

Is it possible that this could have also been triggerring false swings?? it didn't happen that often, but once in a while I got a few after a normal swing. I even tried lowering the sensitivity and was still occasionally getting them.

Well, the problem is fixed, even though now I am not really sure what it was.. Possibly there were shorted wires. I noticed that the wires I twisted together from the main LEDs didn't really look right.. Like the outer jacket of the wires may have been a little toooo melted around the copper.
    Since I had the saber apart to replace the recharge port, I de-soldered and re-wired the entire saber, using new wires... This time using a little less heat gun on the twists...
    Long story short.... I put it all back together and now have no problem with the kill switch...
    Maybe i melted some of the wiring by heating them a little toooo much to make the twists in them. Oh well, first time builder mistake.... Still not really sure where the problem was, but re-wiring the saber was good practice for my upcoming second build anyway.

Glad you got it sorted dude

It's always frustrating when there isn't any obvious or visible mistake. I was concerned I may have fried my NB, but it turned out to be a bad bit of wire I was able to find by testing continuity for everything.

Thanks, I'm glad it's working now too. Also, solved the false swing problem by lowering the volume setting to 3 on the NB. I guess the bass speaker was causing a vibration. It was only happening on one font, but now that's taken care of too. I didn't want to start my second saber until the first one was completely finished. Thank you again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_fimm View Post
    Thanks, I'm glad it's working now too. Also, solved the false swing problem by lowering the volume setting to 3 on the NB. I guess the bass speaker was causing a vibration. It was only happening on one font, but now that's taken care of too. I didn't want to start my second saber until the first one was completely finished. Thank you again guys.
    Dark Meat? Mine too...only when in the hilt.

No, funny enough, Dark Meat is alright. It was happenning on another I had dowloaded from Saberfont. Which is weird, beacuse Dark Meat seemed to have way more bass in it than the one i downloaded.