Thread: Kill key placement, pommel options, and impacts on sound

Default Kill key placement, pommel options, and impacts on sound

I have just finished my first ever saber and am super excited.

I have a prize 4 with a bass speaker in a v4 speaker mount.

Currently, I have the kill key in the pommel (style 4 ) such that I can remove it and charge it without unscrewing anything.
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MP...yle-4-P91.aspx

One thing I have noticed is that the sound is a bit muted with this configuration. I really like the easy access to the kill key, but would like to enhance the sound a bit.

Is there a "better" pommel that seems to work a little better with this configuration ( speaker at the bottom with the kill key in the pommel ) or do I need to look at moving the kill key elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

If you're up for customising and if it suits you're design, you could add some vent holes around the pommel or maybe change to the longer version of that pommel (style 8?) to give a little more clearance. I'm assuming you have the insert with vent holes (style 6) or similar, not 2 or 3.
    Last edited by Greenie; 07-29-2016 at 07:38 AM.

How are you keeping your kill key in the pommel without unscrewing it? Can you post a photo of your setup so it's easier to understand what you are trying to accomplish? You linked MPS Pommel 4 which is a tapered pommel that requires an insert, did you mean to link the Pommel 4 which is the ball?

I created this thread to discuss this very topic:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-your-kill-key

If you go to the last post you'll see what I have done, which is make a key that can stay in the port and hide a port in my blade plug to store it when I need to remove it entirely.
    Last edited by jbkuma; 07-29-2016 at 07:43 AM.

I'm still pondering your issue. Are you sure the speaker is not being squashed causing it to sound muted?
    I have a28mm bass speaker facing the pommel and this insert http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MP...e-12-P535.aspx which is virtually touching the speaker but it's still very loud and it resonates through the hilt.

I am actually using insert 2 because insert 6 hasn't been available for a while.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MP...le-2--P69.aspx

BUT... I have drilled it extensively such that it has 8 holes in it - 4 are 1/4" holes and 4 are a little smaller.

I do like the idea of drilling out the sides of the pommel a bit and am going to give that a go.

I am also now wondering if some of the "muted" effect is really just the speaker not fully realizing the higher tones of the swings and clashes,

For example, changing sound banks produces a very loud beep... But the tone of the swings and clashes don't match that beeps intensity or volume.

It may just be a combination of both: not enough venting and frequency range of the speaker.

Pictures bro...pictures.... They can explain far more then you words ever could......will also save time with all of us asking questions...of something we can't see...just try to picture it in our heads and extrapolate what we think your asking.

Here ya go... Holes are a bit off center, but you get the idea.

image.jpg

Bro...ever heard of measure twice cut/drill once?....just kidding Looks cool.
    Like the others have stated ...its a good idea...but if anything is pushing up against your speaker it can't vibrate...doesn't vibrate...can't work, no sound coming out properly.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixHawk View Post
    Bro...ever heard of measure twice cut/drill once?..
    I know!!!!

I thought for sure it was okay, but when I realized it wasn't... Well... It was too late. Oh well, live and learn.