Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I boned?

Hence why I created it Thorvindr...I could see in your picture that it had turned a little.
    Good idea FenixFire... and making a modified kill-key would be a bit easier then my quickly engineering bobble/place holder..thingy...lol.

I managed to modify my key today with a bit of filling. The trick is to get it down enough to let the switch make contact without making it loose enough too rattle or fall out. I recommend taking it down a bit at a time and using the continuity tester on your multimeter, or I guess you can see if you saber boots up.

Grease fittings...possible quick connect or belt clip when coupled with the female chuck piece...oh man now you got me thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Grease fittings...possible quick connect or belt clip when coupled with the female chuck piece...oh man now you got me thinking!
    Say more words! Say more words! The grease fitting I got actually looks REALLY cool on the pommel. It's... Well I'll take a picture when I go back down to my workshop/basement. It has a ball in it and I wish it didn't because I'd love to thread something through there to hold a dangling ornament of some kind. And apparently the yellow Zinc the fitting is made from is just too tough for titanium-coated drill bits so I haven't had any luck getting the ball out of there. But the part that stick out the bottom of the pommel is sufficiently knobbly that I could easy loop so thread around it and it would stay reasonably well. Maybe not well enough for dueling but certainly well enough for cosplay.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I managed to modify my key today with a bit of filling. The trick is to get it down enough to let the switch make contact without making it loose enough too rattle or fall out. I recommend taking it down a bit at a time and using the continuity tester on your multimeter, or I guess you can see if you saber boots up.
    Could you be a little clearer? What do you mean by "take it down?" What I'm envisioning is a kill key with a notch cut in the bottom so that when I twist the key, it releases the the internal switch that it otherwise pushes out of contact. Is that what you're describing?

The nipple usually screws off the main body, so you can remove the ball and spring for cleaning if they get clogged with dirt.

http://bit.ly/2advdN7

That's a link to the Google album I just made with all the photos of my current build. The earlier photos are the ones I meant to share in order to illustrate the problem I was having keeping my charging port lined-up with the hole. After spraying Teflon lubricant all over all my MHS parts, this problem exists again. But since I've locked the speaker mount (the anchor of my chassis) between the pommel piece and the short extension piece, I can much more easily rotate the chassis after I've screwed the hilt together.

Further on are photos of my grease fitting in-place. I can't decide if I'm going to leave it poking out or not. I think it looks good either way. Unexpectedly, I ended up with a couple splashes of brass color on this hilt and they really pull the whole thing together. In addition to this fitting being yellow Zinc, I accidentally ordered the brass-colored AV switch.

Anyway. As you can see, the fitting has a hole that goes all the way through it. Unfortunately, it also has a ball in the chunky end (for grease or something, I guess) that I can't manage to remove. Like I said, I'd love to be able to thread some thin, leather cord (or something) through there to decorate the pommel with a bit of dangle but it looks like that's not going to happen this time around.

I easily altered my kill plug to be an ignition key. I used my wire cutters to bite a chunk out of the bottom of the plug, then used my modelling files to clean it up a bit. unfortunately, it's the ugly plastic kill plug that I stuck a nylon spacer on to make it easier to grab. So it doesn't look great but it looks better than a hole in my hilt or a misaligned charging port.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    The nipple usually screws off the main body, so you can remove the ball and spring for cleaning if they get clogged with dirt.
    I thought so but I can't figure out how. I don't even see a seam on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorvindr View Post
    I thought so but I can't figure out how. I don't even see a seam on this thing.
    I saw that from the picture, still it has to be inserted somehow, most likely from the back opening with some type of spanner.

You the switch is actually approximately in the middle. You don't want to notch it all the way to the bottom because the tension from the switch helps hold the key in.