Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you store your kill key?

Default Where do you store your kill key?

I've searched and I've found some interesting and less interesting ideas in build threads, but there doesn't seem to be a thread discussing this topic specifically.

The biggest challenges are maintaining the aesthetic of the saber, while not losing the key. Ideally the storage option would be available whether or not the user is in costume, so I would tend to favor on-hilt solutions.

Ideas I have seen or come up with include:
    - Second "charge port" that isn't connected to anything
    - internal space in pommel (perhaps with dead charge port)
    - pocket, pouch, or socket either in garment, belt, or other accessory
    - hole or socket in Covertec belt clip, in a place that won't interfere with mechanism
    - hole or socket in blade plug (to be stored where ever you are keeping your plug)
    - the Covertec kill key available in the store which could be used in a dead port during on time.

For my current build, I am currently leaning toward storing it in a socket inside my blade plug. This is simply because it will then be large enough to not get lost when removed, and the plug would be with the hilt more often then not. My hilt does not really allow for another type of accessible on-hilt storage option, and this seems the next best thing.

I'm interested in seeing what other approaches people may have attempted or contemplated, even if they didn't work out. Knowing what doesn't work can be just as important for those exploring the potentials of hilt design!
    Last edited by jbkuma; 06-23-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I usually just keep mine in my house/car/pocket (wherever I took the saber from) as I don't often find the need to kill my saber in a moments notice. If I had that need however, I would personally go with the 2nd (decorative) charge plug method... if I wasn't wearing pockets most of the time anyways

I've always made a hole in the bottom of my blade plugs to store kill keys in. That way, I can put the key in the blade plug, cover that with the blade cap, and drop it in my pocket as a self-contained object when I go out to take care of some Sith. I can also put the key in the plug and leave it hidden there if I want to put the saber in display mode.
    Last edited by sgcdialler; 06-22-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: addition

I have a magic killkey goblin that takes them back to his secret lair after I set them down, and if i'm good he will put it in an odd place for me to find. That's my theory anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by snilam View Post
    I have a magic killkey goblin that takes them back to his secret lair after I set them down, and if i'm good he will put it in an odd place for me to find. That's my theory anyway.
    Ha ha! That pesky goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    The biggest challenges are maintaining the aesthetic of the saber, while not losing the key. Ideally the storage option would be available whether or not the user is in costume, so I would tend to favor on-hilt solutions.
    An interesting topic! And a fun design challenge. Like you, I like to maintain the "realism" of the saber, and the last thing I wanted was a plastic kill key throwing things off.

In my latest build, I made a custom kill key with the Kill Plug style 4 and a knurled nut and Allen drive cap screw I found at the hardware store (Lowes). Also some old bronze guitar string, the small brass beads at the ends of guitar strings, and a small triangle-ring from an old flashlight.

I had to sand down the inside of the knurled nut a bit to get the kill plug in, and then epoxy holds it in solidly. The cap screw holds the wire in place, which is threaded with the brass beads, and the triangle-ring (which has a split like a D-ring) pinches into the beads. It can clip to a small keychain or carabiner on your Jedi/Sith belt so it doesn't get lost. And the triangle-ring can swivel, so it's low profile when in the recharge port.

jbkuma, I really like your idea of some kind of socket or hole in the hilt body to store the kill key securely! It's something I've been thinking about too. Here are a few quick models I made of a kill plug that's mounted into a knurled thumbscrew, which could then be screwed into an empty place in the hilt body (or pommel) when the saber is in use (images are clicky):

What do you think?
    BinarySunsetDesign.wordpress.com

"Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life; bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky." -A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Here's a shot of my kill key in the pommel and in my prototype blade plug. The screw will be replaced when I find something I like better, for now it's fairly innocuous.
    20160623_094802.jpg20160623_100039.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by snilam View Post
    My life seems to be infested with particularly greedy goblins! This was more or less the impetus for my creation of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by .: SparrowHawk :. View Post
    jbkuma, I really like your idea of some kind of socket or hole in the hilt body to store the kill key securely! It's something I've been thinking about too. Here are a few quick models I made of a kill plug that's mounted into a knurled thumbscrew, which could then be screwed into an empty place in the hilt body (or pommel) when the saber is in use (images are clicky):
    What do you think?
    Nice concept. This can clear pretty much all of the requirements. If you sink the charge port a bit, the charger should be able to clear the threads while charging. You could have two caps, one with the kill key, and one just a cap and swap their positions as necessary. I like it.
    Last edited by jbkuma; 06-23-2016 at 07:25 AM.

I am crazy scared that I will lose mine. I think on all future sabers I will have a kill switch instead of a kill key. Pololu has some nice latching switch PCBs similar to the momentary to latching coverters in the store that will allow the use of a small low-profile latching switch as a kill switch.

Well, the converters in the store ARE the Pololu boards, so I'd imagine they're pretty similar.

I don't know how much power they draw when idle, so the battery may drain over time.

Edit: store page says they draw less than 0.01 μA, so it's negligible.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Blog Entries

I don't remember. So I always have to order more.