Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First saber ever (MHS)

It's been a while, but I've since gotten my parts and started putting it together. I've had successful tests but shoddy soldering work so I need to redo it. I don't think I ordered enough wire really. I also ruined my dynaohm resistor so I won't have a switch LED until I can get a new one. For now I just need some velcro and a plastic tube for a quick chassis a la Shameem. I tried it out with my blade (which I got some cellophane for) and it looks brilliant. Also need a proper kill key. But it's getting exciting getting that much closer.

hilt1.jpghilt_plug.jpghiltbladeoff.jpghiltbladeon.jpg

Really like the look of this saber...nice work so far!

Naasad Tal - A.K.A. Chris S.
    My Saber Build - http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...from-MHS-parts

Nice. Can always get one of the non lit av switches. I think a brass one would look good on that
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

That looks good. And good on you for building your own; it's so much better than just buying a production-line saber or installing some off-the-shelf hilt.
    Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions. Happy sabering!
    So certain are you; always with you it cannot be done.
    Hear you nothing that I say?

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc...deTutorial.pdf
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...Hardware-Saber
    ---------------------

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jedimastergarcia87 View Post
    Nice. Can always get one of the non lit av switches. I think a brass one would look good on that
    Well, I have the switch and it works fine otherwise. Just need a new resistor for its LED. Although, brass would look really nice. I've been thinking of ways to add brass highlights like extension rings or something. It is very plain as is. Will have to get a brass coloured kill key too. I will probably be making another order next month...

Quote Originally Posted by Whi-ja View Post
    That looks good. And good on you for building your own; it's so much better than just buying a production-line saber or installing some off-the-shelf hilt.
    Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions. Happy sabering!
    Yeah, I definitely wanted my first one to be very personal to me. I've got my eye on some predesigned hilts but if I do get them I'll buy them empty and fill them myself. I'm a control freak and I like everything just so. I wouldn't be able to stomach having a saber with sound without custom fonts. Or a saber without sound at all lol. Gotta do it myself. Plus I enjoy learning these skills.

Couple questions.

For drilling set screw holes for blade retention and covertec, is it highly recommended to use a drill press or vice with a hand drill? I don't know anybody with a drill press so I'm hoping that would be enough. Some people have said they've done it free hand without issues. Is that recommended?

Second question, my saber is all complete and wired up. Kill key works fine. Except now when I plug it in to charge with the TCSS smart charger it blinks a dull red instead of a bright constant red. What does a blinking red mean? It doesn't seem to be covered in the manual.
    Last edited by MusicallyInspired; 09-16-2016 at 08:24 AM.

If you have access to a drill press it will help a lot, but you still need to center things properly. A hand drill will work as long as you clamp things down and take your time. You will want to use a center punch and cutting oil, and work your way up from smaller bits to larger in any case. These things will prevent many tears.

Thanks very much for the valuable information. How about the charger question?

This is a photo my wife took of me and my kids with our sabers. She's finally jealous and wants a purple one of her own!

Family Sabers.jpg

Have you checked your recharge port connections? The kill key will cut power even if your negatives are reversed and you won't know til you go to charge it.
    My wife said the same thing. Why do the ladies always want a purple one?