Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TV Stunts (quase-Ren & Blademaster's Shoto)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default TV Stunts (quase-Ren & Blademaster's Shoto)

Couple of stunts, a "quase-Ren" and a "Blademaster's Shoto" from TOR. TV-stunt is a reference to how I play with them: i.e. whist I watch tv from my couch. Which, strangely, works when you're learning guitar, but not so much when building a lightsaber. Also, since you're playing with the TV on, there's no sound, but both momentary and latching action.

The quase-Ren is made out of my fridgesaber, Conservative. I slapped some tonfa adaptors and scrap cut-outs on it, dipped it in carbonite and voila, superemodeathstick. It was a Christmas gift for a special little guy who loved it. It's got a LEDengine red and 4aaa pack. The crossguard is acrylic rod that I heated and shaped; they feed off the main LED. IRL, they're red and they glow, but it's not comparable to having separate LEDs light them. I would recommend this technique for ease/economy, but not for show, filming, or fighting.

The other one is the Blademaster's Shoto, also momentary and latching action. I saw the hilt and I immediately knew I could make it... and it took all of 5 minutes to check the scrap pile to see that I had all the necessary parts. The recharge port is on the graflex pinport, and the killkey is a short pin on a pen tube. I had a set of 3, so this worked out perfectly. OB1 emitter from Roman; graflex head that was already cut (never thought I would be able to use that again); salvaged parks clamp, transistor greeble and thumbscrew; MHS chassis disks, 4-40 battery nuts and standoffs; assorted scrap...

I LOVE that blade master shoto

Good work as always, e!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

Do you ever sleep dude?? Great work again. Love, love, love the shoto
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

That shoto is awsome!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks, all!

@DC, these are all on going projects, I've just had time recently to make video demos (videmos? is that a word?) and post them all.

I am, however, a little surprised... I totally misjudged, mis-pre-judged, if you will, what fellow lightsaber enthusiasts are drawn to. I actually thought people would be more prone to comment on the crossguard lightsaber, seeing as how popular it is. Same with the Tron hilt, I totally thought tronhilt would be the meh, and everyone would like the v2 and sword-thing more... que sera sera

You did a great job on both. I think my eye is drawn to the Shoto more because it feels like the weathering is telling a story. I am also really loving the brass piping on the emitter.

Awesome as always E! I'm especially digging that shoto with the brass piping and weathering - really gives it a steampunk feel.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks guys!

The weathering is all powder coating. PC was black, JPO copper, bronze metallic satin, and my "Minas Mix", it's green, silver, yellow, white, black... makes for a nice corroded, oxidized look. The coloring and weathering took an entire day, like literally - I got up, PC'd, finished, went to bed.

The tubing is actually copper anodized aluminium wire, it's easier to work with. The neck ring is the flange from a BH6, with the black stripped off the outer rings and pc'd with the orange copper.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eastern57 View Post
    Thanks, all!

@DC, these are all on going projects, I've just had time recently to make video demos (videmos? is that a word?) and post them all.

I am, however, a little surprised... I totally misjudged, mis-pre-judged, if you will, what fellow lightsaber enthusiasts are drawn to. I actually thought people would be more prone to comment on the crossguard lightsaber, seeing as how popular it is. Same with the Tron hilt, I totally thought tronhilt would be the meh, and everyone would like the v2 and sword-thing more... que sera sera
    So you do sleep; however, you dream up sabers while doing it

And never judge the peanut gallery by its shell haha. I like old school, OT vibe sabers and the blademaster screams it.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––