Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MHS blaster build

Default MHS blaster build

Here is a project I have been working on that makes a slightly different use of the MHS system. I have been working on this for a few months now and am still not quite done but wanted to share anyway. I present the WESTAR 45, a (soon to be) functional FX blaster.

A while ago I made a similar blaster. It vaguely resembled a DH-17. One big problem I ran into was mounting a pistol grip to a hilt body. I used an AK-47 grip which is flat on top and obviously the hilt body is round. I had a hard time making them mate in a solid and convincing way. I needed another piece so I turned to friend who does 3D printing through Shapeways, Sedsti Skyfaller.

Sedsti and I worked together via emails for about 3 weeks to make my engineering drawing into a 3D model. It came out great. The switch is non- moving but does house a small tactile switch to use as the actual trigger.

The rest of the body is MHS pieces that you can easily identify. I made a shroud to add another layer and create the mock ejection port. I made the recharge port mount from a switch box blank.

The pistol grip is still and AK-47 type but it is an aftermarket one, not military. The scope is an airsoft laser sight.

I named this the WESTAR 45 because it vaguely looks like Jango Fett's WESTAR 34 blaster, just more robust, (hence the larger number). I used the salt water etching tutorial on this forum to etch the name in the side of the body and just for a little extra detail, I put the voltage requirement next to the recharge port.

I purchased a Plecter Labs Blaster Core sound board to install and the rest is more or less saber guts from TCSS, like the speaker and battery, etc.

It will also be colored some how, (painted, powder coated, whatever), and weathered. I also plan to make a holster.

Special thanks to Sedsti for his awesome work on the base piece and thanks to Tim at TCSS for creating a system that continues to prove itself to be very versatile.

When finished, will try to post a video. But for now, enjoy these pics.

Cute. Reminds me a little of Cannibal's K3GR2 - ROGUE build.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Cute. Reminds me a little of Cannibal's K3GR2 - ROGUE build.
    I have not seen that. I guess great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago.jedi View Post
    I have not seen that. I guess great minds think alike.
    His worked differently, it was more of an "either/or" build. Either a saber or a blaster.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

That's pretty awesome
    I can light a small city with my board

Blog Entries

Love it! Very innovative. The Aurebesh etching looks great, too.

Very cool!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Very nice work, very sleek.

Mission accomplished. Enjoy the pics and video and tell me what you think.

Last edited by chicago.jedi; 04-07-2015 at 12:19 PM.

I'm definitely making one.