Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first "custom" saber.

Default My first "custom" saber.

A few years ago I came across this site after buying my first Force FX (Vader) saber and after some reading I got around to converting it to a Luxeon III, I also picked up a bargain Yoda FX Saber and converted that, but the sound amplifier seemed to die on that saber soon after.

It's been sometime before I've finally got around to building my first "custom" saber - I've called it "Debellatio".

Initial starting point was the broken Yoda Force FX, I thought I may aswell make use of the blade holder and after buying some aluminium tube the correct size (1 and 3/8" OD I think) I thought I could also make use of the activation switch part. Other bits were cut from some 1.5" aluminium tubing, an old aluminium torch and some PVC tubing that I'd originally used to repair my Vader emitter.
    I also used ARKM's guide on saltwater etching for some details on the "grip" section, the overall hilt has been weathered to try and match my custom character costume.

It now houses a Nano Biscotte V2 for sound and a tri-cree RRG LED, powered by a single 18650 battery, sound comes from the 2W mini (20mm) speaker. I've used a 4PDT switch to allow colour swapping between one of the main LED dies and the FOC die. The 2 colour options, yellow blade with orange flash on clash (using R+G main and Red for FOC) , or if I want to portray a full on darkside then I can switch to red blade with orange FOC (RR main with green for FOC).

The 4PDT switch was probably the hardest thing to put into the hilt:

The etched area:

Overall I'm pretty happy with this build, it certainly has given me things to think about for the next one

Nice work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Wow, that is very cool. Inventive use of parts. Both MR and "other". I like the way you set that up. The salt water etching looks really good on that hilt, especially with the use of light weathering. Very nice work, I tip my hat to you sir

hey, very nice saber, great work, you can say, what itens you use for sound and sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by EKowalski View Post
    hey, very nice saber, great work, you can say, what itens you use for sound and sensors?
    He said he used a Nano Biscotti (which has the sensors included in the board).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    He said he used a Nano Biscotti (which has the sensors included in the board).
    oh i lost this hehe i am very animated for build my saber, despite the difficulty, I'm translating and reading the maximum I can, for make my parts listing and verify that everything ok hehe

this video cheered me up very, very good takamatsu

Very nice. I especially like how you invented your own blade-switch feature. I like to customize my electronics/wiring in my builds too. A fine job indeed. Enjoy that saber.

Very well done! Looks great!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Beautifully done. I especially like how you "break the silhouette" away from just a single tube, using both actual differences in OD but also the clever use of color to create "negative" space. Really great job!

Very nice. The idea to switch colors like how you did is cool too. A powerful Sith you will become. :P Check out the Sith Lord Unleashed font, pretty cool sounding font.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-