Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starwinder's "Deterrence" - NBv2.0 saber *Pic heavy*

Default Starwinder's "Deterrence" - NBv2.0 saber *Pic heavy*

I probably shouldn't have finished a new saber so soon after my last one, but this one was simple enough, and it had been in my head for a while now. I envisioned this saber being for a Jedi Shadow or a similar character - a Jedi who was constantly undercover, in the shadows, or planted in the middle of your typical hive of scum and villainy. As such, his saber wouldn't need to be pretty or multi-functional; it would mostly be concealed, only used in the most appropriate (desperate) of circumstances. And due to the environment, it wouldn't be very clean either.

For myself, I had several goals in mind when putting this together: I wanted the design to be practical (and comfortable), I wanted to take this saber to Cons, and I wanted it to be fairly inexpensive. Mostly due to the fact that I wanted this to be a Con saber, I didn't want to pour a lot of money into it and be totally devastated if it ever broke, or got lost, or "confiscated" while traveling. I also chose to have the removable battery pack instead of a recharge port for easy swapping out of batteries for all-day events.

Design-wise, I was going for total utilitarian: practical, not pretty. No blinkies, crystal chambers, or foghorns - just your basic saber. The design was mostly inspired by General Kota's saber from the Force Unleashed games and also by LDM's 51TH Commando series. The hilt wrapping is tennis racquet overgrip, which I really like the feel of (tacky but not sticky). This was also my first saber to experiment with aluminum black for some moderate weathering, which I don't think showed up very well in the pictures due to the lighting, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And for what I wanted in this saber, the Nano Biscotte works beautifully! LordBlako's Glare font perfectly matches the character of this saber with its deep, staticy hum. For contrast, I also installed Madcow's Bespin II for a more classic lightsaber sound.

SPECS

- All MHS parts
    - Nano Biscotte 2.0
    - Sound fonts: Glare by LordBlako and Bespin II by Madcow
    - Rebel Star Cyan LED
    - 2W bass speaker
    - 3.7v 900mAh 14500 Li-ion battery (with dummy cell)
    - Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black weathering
    - Wilson Ultra Wrap tennis overgrip
    - Blade Plug by ARKM/Darkside Engineering
    - Jedi Order stand by LordBlako
    - Just under 12 in. long

GLAMS

Powered on in partially lit room...

...and in darkness

Thanks for lookin!
    Last edited by Starwinder; 07-16-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Thanks for posting! It's a beauty!

Nice work on this one!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I like the blade plug! Where did you find it?

great work! I'm always a fan of leather!
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler

I love the way you weathered it but was able to keep a great shine on it! Great job!
    With us, you are ruler of all the Sith, answerable only to the Emperor himself
    ―Darth Marr to Darth Nox

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy View Post
    I like the blade plug! Where did you find it?
    JMurphy, your best bet would be to look up Caz345/Darkside Engineering on the Imperial Royal Arms forum (i just got more myself!)
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Yeah I analysed the blade plug with science and found Darkside engineering soon after posting the question, lol.

Not surprised you bought more, they look pretty legendary! and cheaper than I thought

do you have the link to those blade plugs?
    With us, you are ruler of all the Sith, answerable only to the Emperor himself
    ―Darth Marr to Darth Nox

Beautiful saber, Love the leather wrap..and the whole story behind the theme of this saber. very well done.