Thread: "Kasei" by Yoshi-Taka

Default "Kasei" by Yoshi-Taka

The home stretch..

This one was built out of faux necessity. I wanted to have a stunt with which I could duel, cosplay, and be a maniac. So I went back to my roots and redesigned an old saber. This saber was a big experiment because for the first time, I used neither JSTs nor a buckpuck. This is my first "pure wiring and a resistor" build. It took me an hour of planning and theorizing before I got the recharge port right. The latching guarded style switch was both a functional and stylistic choice: it doesn't accidentally turn off and it matches the black-and-silver layout of the saber.

Very rarely do I build "canon"-style lightsabers. This is one of them. It's also a very Sith-y lightsaber. Ironically many of my Sith sabers are/were stunts. Weird...

SPECS
    -All MHS parts, several with Black Matte Tuscan powder coating
    -3.7v 18650 2600mAh single cell battery
    -Luxeon Rebel Star, Red (2.2ohm, 2W resistor)
    -Guarded style latching switch
    -Recharge port with black kill key
    -Black covertec wheel

PICS

VIDEO(s)

Good work.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hm. This looks familiar. Oddly enough, the original is one of my favorite sabers that you've built. I like it. It looks...well, not quite mean, but with that red blade, certainly menacing. The powder coating adds just enough darkness to set this thing off. How does it handle, with the choke instead of the ribbed extension?
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Terrific saber!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Very clean! I'm a big fan of all the flat black PC'd grooves - it's very simple but eye-catching at the same time.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdve View Post
    Terrific saber!
    Thank you, gentlemen!

Quote Originally Posted by MandoJoe View Post
    Hm. This looks familiar. Oddly enough, the original is one of my favorite sabers that you've built. I like it. It looks...well, not quite mean, but with that red blade, certainly menacing. The powder coating adds just enough darkness to set this thing off. How does it handle, with the choke instead of the ribbed extension?
    It handles so much better. Much faster, I must admit. It's nowhere near as bulky as I remember Coil feeling.. and that thing was heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Very clean! I'm a big fan of all the flat black PC'd grooves - it's very simple but eye-catching at the same time.
    I like all the grooves as well. I've been sitting on this design for a very, very long time. It looks a lot better than in the builder, that's for sure.

Oh yeah, and one more thing...

Nice saber. Definitely a Sith feel to it. How does that colored thumb screw work for the blade? I heard you have to sometimes cut some of the threads down. I want to use the red one for my buid.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Thank you kindly. It varies between blade holders.

In this shot, there's a blade plug in the blade holder. It doesn't bother me any, but you could certainly trim off a thread or two.