Thread: A different kind of MHS build.....DH-17 blaster

Default A different kind of MHS build.....DH-17 blaster

Ok, so I have been working on this little item in my spare time. My goal was to make a Star Wars blaster that?

A) Is not a DL-44. Nothing against Han and his signature blaster, but it will always be Han's blaster in my eyes
    B) Is not a repainted plastic toy. Nothing against these either, I have made my share of painted NERF guns. I just wanted something that felt more like a real gun in my hands.
    C) Would light up. Of course, why not?

I was rummaging in my spare parts bin and started looking a little differently at some of the old MHS parts I had lying around. The parts I had seemed to resemble a DH-17 Rebel Trooper blaster.

I always kind of liked the DH-17 blasters of the Rebel Troopers. I think in the Star Wars universe it is kind of overshadowed by other blasters with more screen time, but is no less iconic. It has a classic look but is just a little bit different than the E-11's (ironic since they are built off of the same real world machine gun.)

So, I decided to try my hand at blaster-smithing. The size of the parts dictated the size of the blaster so I am calling this a DH-17-S, for short.

The guts are set up just like a stunt saber but with a momentary switch as a trigger. It has an orange LED.

The pistol grip is from an AK-47 and creates the same general profile as the DH-17. It is attached with two 1/4-20 socket head screws and a coupling.

The "scope" is a cheap little laser sight for a bb gun and is held on by a Weaver scope rail made for a Remington 870 shotgun. The rail fits perfectly against the radius of the MHS parts.

I drilled a little button head screw into the blade plug to create the impression of a barrel hole.

The black parts were painted with etching primer and then black enamel spray paint and clear coat.

This was a fun little project and I think it came out pretty well. Next step will be a holster but I thought I would share these pictures now.

Enjoy.

Last edited by chicago.jedi; 03-08-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Nice work! It looks like it could be a smuggler's blaster.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

That is really cool. I Love the look and i bet it fees great like a real Blaster with the metal parts for weight. GREAT JOB!
    "A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
    "Choose what is right, not what is easy"

That is really awesome - great job making this a familiar yet different kind of blaster!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

I have often looked at my spare MHS parts, (the same blade holder you have used), a choke, any main body, and thought how nicely they would look mounted on a pistol grip, to make a buck rogers or similar themed blaster. Where else could you get a precision machined aluminium blaster from at such reasonable prices? Kudos to your efforts! It looks great. I especially like the idea that you are happy with something that might COME from the SW Universe, but does not have to be an exact replica.

Thanks for all of the kind words.

One thing of note, the picture of it lit up does not do it justice. I used a clear blade plug and with the cut outs in the side of the blade holder, it really is bright. In a dark room, if you give the trigger a quick squeeze, it really looks like a muzzle flash. It really is a cool effect.

I greatly enjoyed this. I might have to steal this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    I greatly enjoyed this. I might have to steal this idea.
    By all means, feel free. I have taken my share of inspiration from the forum. I am honored that I have offered something others see as worth using.