Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LS-3301 - First build complete

Default LS-3301 - First build complete

All in all my first lightsaber build went smoothly and without unforeseen snags. The most time-consuming part was getting the package of parts out of customs!

Many thanks to all those who helped with advice, most notably Silver Serpent. You made this a straight-forward and fun project.

Here are various photos and a video from the three build stages.

Friday 24th Jan - Initial build

The assembled body with no electronics

On the bench for wiring

Pommel options

Testing the assembled/working saber

Saturday 25th Jan - Weathering

Aluminum Black for that used look

26th Jan - Completing the chassis

The use of the rails with the spacers keeps the board tucked right down at the pommel end of the hilt and allows swings to be detected by the motion sensors much more consistently. I also got rid of some unnecssasarily long stretches of wire from my circuit. In general the simple design and use of a full main body section on the hilt gave me plenty of room. Very little swearing was involved in the building of this lightsaber.

Good work! Nice and pretty clean.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Looks like something I'd build. I like it. Especially the reversed speaker holder; very clever.

Good job on your first saber. That weathering kinda looks like it was wiped with an oily rag. Not a bad look I suppose. Sort of a "mechanic's toolbox" feel to it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Well I like it! Clean and elegant, with enough weathering to belong in the "used" Star Wars universe. Great execution.

Very cool. A nice simple design, and the electronics look fairly clean. Nice work, especially on a first saber.

Keep up the good work! Things like soldering and wire usage/management will all come in the the more you hone your skills. I think this is a nice first saber and you should use it to keep moving forward.
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

A nice classic design. Both sleek and practical. Congrats on finishing your first!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

nice hilt. well done
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....