Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PC2.0 and accent LED resistor double-check

I think what it comes down to is "You should always use a resistor". The question then becomes "but should you really?"

Only you can answer that. Personally, I don't use resistors on accent pads for 3.3v 18mA LEDs. There are also times where I don't use them on high power LEDs either. But then, I'm prepared to replace them if/when I ever pop one. If you can accept the risk and your math is (triple-checked and) correct, go for it... but if there is any question:

"Always Use A Resistor!"

Sage advice indeed, and thanks! I plan on using a small resistor on this one mainly to step down the brightness of the switch LED. I definitely hear the argument for foregoing a resistor in order to save internal space - and I probably will heed that advice in a future build - but with the setup I have planned, it *shouldn't* (famous last words I know) be much of an issue and it's no big deal for me to do the extra soldering.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Older and more experienced builders (like Caine, SS and myself) may take a shortcut or two here and there, because we know the potential risks and can live with the consequences. For the beginners, we tend to give them advice how how to do it the "safe way".
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Okay, I understand why to put a resistor in there, and I even understand where in the circuit the resistor fits, but I'm going to stun you all with my newbish newbitutde, and ask... what do I anchor the resistor to? Or do I just cut and strip two pieces of wire, solder the resistor between them, cover the whole thing with shrink-wrap, and hit it with my hair dryer?

Jenny:

Putting the resistor 'in-line' as you describe is a fine solution. As long as you cover it in heat shrink (which you plan to do), you are golden. Good thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Okay, I understand why to put a resistor in there, and I even understand where in the circuit the resistor fits, but I'm going to stun you all with my newbish newbitutde, and ask... what do I anchor the resistor to? Or do I just cut and strip two pieces of wire, solder the resistor between them, cover the whole thing with shrink-wrap, and hit it with my hair dryer?
    Hedgehog is right. What you plan to do is fine. You should put the resistor on the (+) side of the LED lead (the longer of the 2 LED legs).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks, fellows. In the next few months, I'm expecting to build three or four sabers, each with an NB board and an illuminated switch, so I needed to be sure on that.