Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saberforge: Fury Pommel question

Default Saberforge: Fury Pommel question

So I bought a saberforge fury hilt off ebay and was thinking the pommel would have ports in it making it ready for sound if I wanted to add it.

I had figured on buying the electronics for the sound, etc from here and installing it later. But the saber came and the plug is just solid aluminum with threads. My question is, will the MHS pommels work with this?

Thanks.

-Dan

I don't personally own any saberforge hilts, but I highly doubt they are MHS compatible. I've heard that their hilts are smaller than the 1.25" ID of MHS pieces. But don't take my (hearsay) word for it; you'll have to measure it yourself to find out.
    Your best bet might be to just drill holes in the pommel cap to vent for sound.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Nope, the threads don't match. If you have a drill press it should be pretty easy to make the sound holes, if not a dremel and a lot of patience should do the trick.

Depending on how you mount the speaker, it's not strictly necessary to have sound vents in the pommel. I'm a big fan of forward-facing speakers with holes drilled near the blade holder.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks guys. I guess my question is that the plug itself is just a solid one inch bar with some threading on it. Not what I was expecting at all when compared to the quality of the pommels and other parts on this site. So that having been said since it's basically a solid cylinder I'm assuming I'd have to "chew out" some depth on the inside of the plug without taking too much material out to damage the threads so that I can have space to mount a speaker. It wouldn't need to be too deep just deep enough to mount the speaker in. Then the holes drilled from the outside into that new chamber would allow the sound to come out.

I dunno maybe I'm over-thinking it. But when I opened the box I had the "awww crap" moment when I noticed the plug, and it's just been downhill since. I mean even simple things like the "weathering" that was done to the hilt looked awesome at first but last night when I was messing around with it, I noticed my hands were blackened. I checked the hilt and there was a noticeable loss of paint etc from the hilt. I don't think this is normal is it? The ad says that the sabers are duel-ready but the blade is extremely whip-y. Just in swinging and when I smacked it against the blade of another saber I have.

Yeah overall pretty bummed about it.

Maybe you can drill the sound holes further up the hilt. Like SS suggested, you don't necessarily have to mount the speaker in the pommel. And in your case, you might save yourself a few headaches if you avoided that route.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Unfortunately, experiences like yours aren't uncommon from what i've heard It seems to be hit or wayyyy miss with Saberforge.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Yeah, it was really weird. I got this note in the box that I would get a 10% discount on future purchases if I give the guy a 5 star rating for the purchase. And then there was another note with more regarding the fact that he needed to keep 4 1/2 to 5 stars to keep his shop open on ebay..... That just struck me as bizarre....

Quote Originally Posted by aepostle View Post
    Yeah, it was really weird. I got this note in the box that I would get a 10% discount on future purchases if I give the guy a 5 star rating for the purchase. And then there was another note with more regarding the fact that he needed to keep 4 1/2 to 5 stars to keep his shop open on ebay..... That just struck me as bizarre....
    Without getting into specifics... somehow that doesn't surprise me.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I would go with reverse sound at this point. It seems like boring out and drilling holes in that pommel would be too much effort when you could just mount the speaker towards the front of the saber.

Also, his weathering is really just spray paint and sanding. I don't even think he takes the time to bake it on.

I've actually had much better experiences w/ SF recently:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/saberforge-fury-reveal-162094/

why not just contact him and request purchasing a 2nd sound-capable pommel? If you bought a stunt, why would you think the pommel would be vented??