Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Build

Wink First Build

Hey. I'm new to the whole lightsaber building but since I'm a huge star wars fan and always had an interest in engineering, I figured it's time for me to design and build a couple of lightsabers.

Because I'm new at this I figured I'd start with a simple design. It includes:
    Main Body style 4
    Blade Holder style 18
    Pommel style 4
    Choke style 3
    LED color white (with the 12 color disks)
    36" TCSS battle blade 1"OD

Untitled3.jpg
    Powder Coating color = Copper Metallic

The wiring is the basic kit but with the white latching switch because I've done more complex wiring and felt it would give a better overall look to the hilt.

Unfortunately I can't start the project because of the powder coating situation but I'd love to know what you fellow Force-users think so far

Welcome to the forums.

It looks pretty good for a beginning saber. Are you planning to put sound into it?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Nah not on this one but I'm starting to design and plan out another hilt with the sound built in. I'm having a bit of trouble with the chassis design/planning but that's why there's these forums

Quote Originally Posted by JediEngineer View Post
    Nah not on this one but I'm starting to design and plan out another hilt with the sound built in. I'm having a bit of trouble with the chassis design/planning but that's why there's these forums
    True. Well make sure you do a lot of reading and going through the galleries. You'll likely find what you seek.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediEngineer View Post
    Hey and welcome,

Nice design to start with!
    Regarding the chassis, you'll find a lot of possibilities from chassis disk in the store to custom PVC chassis you'd cut and sand yourself. Just browse, look at the galery and gather ideas for what would fit your needs most
    Above all, enjoy!
    Clicky Sig =>

Had to change the design up a bit, but this is what I got:
    Hilt style 4
    pommel style 6
    MHS choke style 1 (2.5in)
    blade holder style 6
    36" TCSS battle blade 1"OD
    MPS insert style 8
    Machined button for Covertec clip

Untitled.jpg

THe electronics are;
    Seoul P4 LED color white (with the 12 color disks)
    white AV latching switch
    150ohm 1/4w resistor (for AV switch)

Instead of using the resistor for the main LED I would like to use the 1000mA buckpuck.If I use the buckpuck, can I still do a quick change to a Seoul P4 Red LED?

"You must trust that the components that form your lightsaber are meant to be together. There is no other way. It is the Force that binds them." = Professor Huyang

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

You'll be good with that but it'll shorten the life on the red as it runs at 3V/700 mA & the white runs at 4V/1000 mA. I'd just filter the white and not worry about it.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

The P4 reds can handle 1000mA. You're unlikely to notice any shortened lifespan.

Now Rebel reds are another matter. They normally go *poof* at 1000mA.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Took a while but I basically finished my first saber. I had no problems except blowing out the AV switch ring LED but I can always replace it. I've been thinking about adding a Li-ion battery and recharge port later on. All that's left is for me to think about what color to powder coat it (I gotta guy). It took about a half hour just playing with the color discs to find a great color that I like and I'm lovin it. Can't wait to duel my friends with it (and show it off in the process)

DSCF1873.jpgDSCF1874.jpgDSCF1879.jpg
    Me in my Boba fett sweatshirt
    DSCF1877.jpg

And just for laughs
    DSCF1880.jpg

"You must trust that the components that form your lightsaber are meant to be together. There is no other way. It is the Force that binds them." = Professor Huyang

Congrats on completing your first saber JediEngineer! You've taken your first step into a larger world. Looks really functional with great grip areas for dueling with.
    Try not to get too addicted with saber building!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------