Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: G.O.T.H. 1st Saber - Red Shadow (starting)

Update time, I can finally consider the hilt finished
    Back to electronics now.

As always, here is a "few" quick iphone pics:

- A matter of taste really, but I'm pretty fond of black and red, here is how looks the saber with the painted shroud (sithy enough, can't wait for a matching costume):

After all, the paint job has be done with what I had laying around the attic, so I used a common primer for metal, then flat black paint (from Gamesworkshop, since I did some fig painting a while ago and still have a full spray can left), and finally Red base and leyer paint (also from Gamesworkshop).

From the tests, even after up to 3000grit polish, the combo primer + black and some time in the oven made a pretty strong bond with the shroud. I have hit the test shroud numerous time without scratching it So I went for that solution and I'm very pleased with the result.

Here is an overall "spinning" look:

and now closing up to a half of it (last pic with the shrod retracted):

Now it can wait on display while I'll work on internals (plus I could note from this photo that Vader took a lot of dust lately, cleaning is really in order ):

Hope you guys like it (at least I do, and so did my GF ^^).
    Last edited by Darth Ryo; 06-03-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Clicky Sig =>

I didn't think that saber could have looked better before the paint job. Wow I was wrong! That is a seriously awesome saber you got there buddy!

Wow, looking pretty sweet there Ryô! Can't wait to see this thing with the internals completed. Awesome job!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

That's a really great paint job! It's basically screaming, "Look at me, I'm EVIL!"
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Epic build man!!! I'm with you on the black n red, it the greatest color combo EVER! I just have one question. How do you get your pics so big?
    With us, you are ruler of all the Sith, answerable only to the Emperor himself
    ―Darth Marr to Darth Nox

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarr View Post
    Epic build man!!! I'm with you on the black n red, it the greatest color combo EVER! I just have one question. How do you get your pics so big?
    Yeah, love the black and red ^^
    Regarding the pics, I host them directly on my domain, so I actually resize them myself and then just post them here as URL.
    Since I post many pictures, I guess that's better than put more load on TCSS servers... altho I'm not sure if that makes much difference hehe.

-----------------------------------

Anyway, update time... been a while and time goes pretty fast :P
    Actually, it's more a reboot that I'm doing on that build.

With the MHS Coupler Prototype received, I wasn't sure I was going to use it at first, but after a few mods to improve that coupler (more details here), I decided to give it a go. And so, here is the new version of my saberstaff work:

2 separated hilt that can be coupled, which is even more awesome than the previous version
    (and what I'd have wanted from the start, back when it wasn't possible yet, as there was neither a coupler nor Igniter Minis using single battery 3.7v cells ^^)

I had to sand the newly received 4" extensions in order to have a proper alignment between parts. after all, that wasn't hard to achieve. Then I painted the part in black.
    And I'm pretty happy with the coupler so far!

Now I'm not sure yet how I'll proceed for the switches, but this could be an idea.
    What I already know is that I'll make new shroud parts (same color style as before of course), new internal chassis with MHS chassis disks and make a bargraph for each side.

All that is going to take time, but now that my "Glorious Hunter" build is finished, I can fully get back to this staff
    Clicky Sig =>

both your builds are amazing... i would like a staff version like this one day myself. but not exact of course. that coupler i would love to see in a vid etc. may i ask what it took to get that part made from a prototype and the possibility of others getting one too?

edit:
    and just my opinion. i like the switch boxes but i would flip their directions. just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by SithArts View Post
    both your builds are amazing... i would like a staff version like this one day myself. but not exact of course. that coupler i would love to see in a vid etc. may i ask what it took to get that part made from a prototype and the possibility of others getting one too?

edit:
    and just my opinion. i like the switch boxes but i would flip their directions. just a thought
    The coupler is something that should be in stock in the store sometime in the future. If I recall correctly, that is one of the prototypes that Darth Ryo gave feedback on in order to improve upon the design.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Been too long since I last updated this thread, so it is time to give some progress on this build

Ok, I changed the plan a bit since last update I will do a reveal crystal chamber in the back 3? extension. So I had to find a solution for the main and aux switches, that would be located in "the front" section, allowing me to unscrew the rear.

After some time debating, I have decided to use those covertec/switch bezels done by Saberforge (coupled with a 12mm AV switch with red ring), even if that would make the install more difficult. And I had to ditch the possibility to manually retract/extend the front shroud? no biggie really.

I had Delrin 20mm speaker holders custom made, that lock in place between the ribbed extension and the choke!

And the chassis begins to take shape, again... It?s actually the same kind of chassis I used on my other saber (with the Igniter Mini on top of the battery, just the perfect fit for the 1.15? ID extension).

Both staff halves will have a custom bargraph, and those blinkies are bright indeed :P

Once those bargraphs tests done, I could complete the upper hilt for both the staff halves, and it looks good so far ^^
    Here is one "completed" upper hilt, side by side with the other "completed" upper chassis.

And both upper staff halves completed
    Note that the AV switch is the aux switch, and the red thumb screw (coupled with the tiny tactile switch beneath, with a custom made solution) is the main switch

Finally, time for the ?first? crash tests (again) which went pretty well, including the duel with the GF :P

Next step, design the reveal core, got some nice ideas I want to implement and test (all 3D printed ^^). This will likely take quite some time again tho, I?m glad I didn?t set any deadline for this saber, but more to come later anyway
    Clicky Sig =>

That covertec/AV bezel is interesting. Is the covertec button still functional in a clip, or is it just decorative?
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!