Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purple LED Found Question

Default Purple LED Found Question

Hi all I just stumbled across this purple led and was wondering if you guys think it would work. Also, the led state s its uv purple, I'm not sure if that is a description of the color or if the light puts out uv radiation. I don't want to be getting a tan from my light saber lol what do you guys think. Will it work and if uv radiation is truly put out will it have any bad affects on the blade or me for that matter?

http://www.satisled.com/3w-high-powe...05nm_p284.html

Thanks Zack

UV LEDs have been discussed before.

IIRC people came to the conclusion that so big part of the emitting light is invisible to the human eye, it would not seem bright, and also IIRC UV radiation is harmful.

Thanks i wasnt sure if this was an acutally uv emmiting light or if they were using uv to describe the color of the light

It emits light in the UVA wavelength. It can still cause free radical mutations in skin cells, but is generally less harmful that UVB and UVC radiation. It's like using a black light. Don't look directly at it and don't hold it up to your skin for any period of time. Don't take it near small children or older adults or pregnant women. They are pretty dim and not very effective. I bought some UV LEDs recently just to try them out and I wasn't impressed.

If you want a good purple, try an RGB LED.

Thanks alot for your guys help. I probably will eventually get a driver and rgb led i was just trying to avoid it all. It figures building things never have a easier cheap route. lol but heck this is one of the best hobbies ever.

Wink

WickedWharf,

Unfortunately, there are no cheap (or quick and easy) ways around certain things, If you want something good, you have to put time (and money) into it. Shortcuts on certain things can only end badly, and leave you badly disappointed.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Actually, I was rechecking the stats of that LED, and it's not even true UV light. It falls in the 400-405nm wavelength, which is near-UV. The UVA wavelength is from 399 to 315, UVB is 315 to 280, and so on.

You'd have to try really hard to be harmed by that LED.

Might not be technically UV but they are dim and don't look purple.

Right, this thread should lead everyone back to the (now generally/widely accepted) concept that the best way to achieve purple is to just "break down"(?) and buy some kind of RGB LED... and go all sir-mix-a-lot with your bad self.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    ... and go all sir-mix-a-lot with your bad self.
    HAHA true 'dat!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~