Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: nanobiscotte resistor question

So with the 18650 and the White Rebel star I figured I need a 1ohm 4 W resistor so I figure a 1ohm 5W resistor should Do am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So with the 18650 and the White Rebel star I figured I need a 1ohm 4 W resistor so I figure a 1ohm 5W resistor should Do am I right?
    Right now, I am going to say no, that doesn't sound right. What values are you using for your calculations?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Umm I followed the formula in the users manual for the Nano Biscotte. (3.7v - 3.1v) / 1A then for Watts well 3.7v x 1a. Thats what I guessed.

Umm I followed the formula in the users manual for the Nano Biscotte. (3.7v - 3.1v) / 1A then for Watts well 3.7v x 1a. Thats what I guessed.
    Ummm - computer says... Nah. It's more like 1 Ohm, 1 Watt resistor. Your calculation for the wattage was WAY off.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Can you show me how you figured it out so I can see what i did wrong in my calculations?

Also i don't see any 1ohm 1w resistors on the store site. Would a 2w suffice?

Can you show me how you figured it out so I can see what i did wrong in my calculations?
    From the top...

R = (3.7 - 3.1) / 1 = .6 ohm rounds up to -> 1 Ohm

P = R * I^2 = .6 * 1^2 = .6 Watt rounds up to -> 1 Watt

Even if you substituted the 1 ohm for .6 ohm in the second calculation, you would still get to 1 Watt

Got it now?
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 01-10-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

So I was right about it and my father not so right. I hope radio shack sells 1o 1w resistors.

Also i don't see any 1ohm 1w resistors on the store site. Would a 2w suffice?
    You could try Radio Shack if there is one nearby you. Otherwise a 1 Ohm 2 Watt would work if you couldn't get the other one.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Thank you for all your help. Now I can complete my order finally.