Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
Madcow's been doing this for a long time. His soldering skills are top-notch, and I don't think he'll be terribly worried if the occasional Tri-star LED is unbalanced and burns out. He's got spares in his shop. For the rest of us, we'd rather not risk burning a LED and having to wait for another to ship. If they're both the same color and bin, it's unlikely to cause an issue. But resistors cost less than $1 and will save a $20+ part from burning.
Alright, I'm just trying to save space. I know resistors are tiny, but every bit counts. If it's unlikely to cause an issue, the LED on the switch and the LED behind the crystal chamber both take the same resistor. Would it be possible to just use one resistor for those two instead? I have a feeling I already know the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
You can put the resistor on the PEX itself if you have a SMD resistor. Regular resistors are unlikely to fit. Just bridge the pads in that case.
Is this the SMD resistor I'm looking for? http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...d=800000005307

It looks so tiny, I'd probably be better off just bridging and not worrying about it anyway.