Thread: Newbie help: ROTJ Luke 2005 MR conversion

Default Newbie help: ROTJ Luke 2005 MR conversion

Greetings,

I recently joined up with a new Saber guild in washington state, which is something I have always wanted to do. Some of the actors use "grab bag" sabers, but I wanted to do a conversion of my old ROTJ saber instead.
    I have been looking around at tutorials and forums for more information about conversions and lightsaber smithing. I have a few questions and info I could please use help on, as I am a bit apprehensive before starting this.

1) For the tutorial: I noticed on the "Lens Holder" link it doesn't take you to a lens holder. Does anyone know where I can find one or if I need one? I am was also thinking that it maybe possible that it's in the kit now.

2) Is there anyway to mute the sound of the saber during this conversion? maybe a hidden switch?

3) I would like to see about using a heavy duty 1" blade made for lot of stunt combat. I am not sure if the one provided for the ROTJ Luke saber is going to hold up to it. Will perhaps one the corbin battle sabers fit into the saber with this conversion?

4) I don't feel comfortable or ready to "drilling and tapping a hole for a blade retention screw". Would the TCSS do that for me?

Would it be easier to have someone trustworthy do this conversion? Any suggestions on who? I am worried about someone else doing this as I am also on a budget for it.

Lastly, I notice a lot of items are out of stock on the site often, including the conversion kit for the Luke ROTJ 2005 kit. Are more going to be in stock soon? Is there anywhere else I can pick it up if not?

Feel free to message me on the board to help answer some of these questions.
    Thank you for the help.
    Last edited by Mysthopper; 11-05-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Welcome to the Forums.

See my comments below in green.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysthopper View Post
    Greetings,

I recently joined up with a new Saber guild in washington state, which is something I have always wanted to do. Some of the actors use "grab bag" sabers, but I wanted to do a conversion of my old ROTJ saber instead.
    I have been looking around at tutorials and forums for more information about conversions and lightsaber smithing. I have a few questions and info I could please use help on, as I am a bit apprehensive before starting this.

1) For the tutorial: I noticed on the "Lens Holder" link it doesn't take you to a lens holder. Does anyone know where I can find one or if I need one? I am was also thinking that it maybe possible that it's in the kit now.
    Things have probably moved around a bit since that tutorial was written years ago. If you go into the store and look under electronics, you'll find what you seek.
    2) Is there anyway to mute the sound of the saber during this conversion? maybe a hidden switch?
    If you are using the existing card, other than maybe some type of switch wired in with the speaker, I can't think of anything.

3) I would like to see about using a heavy duty 1" blade made for lot

4) I don't feel comfortable or ready to "drilling and tapping a hole for a blade retention screw". Would the TCSS do that for me?

It's a service offered in the store. but you would have to mail him the saber. You would need to talk to Tim (the owner) about it first to see if he would be willing to do it.

Would it be easier to have someone trustworthy do this conversion? Any suggestions on who? I am worried about someone else doing this as I am also on a budget for it.

For this, you would need to go over to FX-Sabers and go through the members of the Mining Colony. Any of them could do it, however, most everyone is very busy and have long wait times.

Lastly, I notice a lot of items are out of stock on the site often, including the conversion kit for the Luke ROTJ 2005 kit. Are more going to be in stock soon? Is there anywhere else I can pick it up if not?

I'm not sure right now.

Feel free to message me on the board to help answer some of these questions.
    Thank you for the help.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you very much for the reply.

I had more of my previous post written out but I had to rewrite a bunch of the post when I moved wifis. I was in bad hurry and failed to notice that I left some of it unfinished. So I went over it again and finished my 3rd question.

You don't think with the MR cards that that I could add a mute switch? What about soldering another small cheap card on to it? Is there anyone on here that may know more about the wiring layout for the MR boards able to help suggest something. Should I try the FX-Sabers's Mining Colony for this?

I guess I am out of luck until those conversion kits come in.

A mute switch? That's fairly simple. Just install a latching switch on one of the speaker wires. When the switch is open, the speaker will be disabled. No extra circuits or boards necessary.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    A mute switch? That's fairly simple. Just install a latching switch on one of the speaker wires. When the switch is open, the speaker will be disabled. No extra circuits or boards necessary.
    Woot thank you very much! That is very useful during saber fights.

Now I need to find a conversion kit still.

Edit update: So I guess the Luke conversion kits were in stock for a bit then I missed them.
    Actually a bunch of stuff was in stock for x-mas but now not.
    Everything must be instock all the time just for when everyone wants it. heh j/king XD

I am interested in crystal focus 7.5 boards, I think the latest sound board are always in high demand though... Thank you for your help TCSS.
    Last edited by Mysthopper; 01-22-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: update