Thread: Identify These Resistors

Default Identify These Resistors

IMG_20150522_223415.jpg

Can anyone help me identify which of these is which. I ordered a .47ohm .5watt, a 1ohm 2watt and a 2ohm 1watt and now I can't decide which is which. I've tried to read the colour bands but not sure if I've got it right. My best effort determined that the top resistor is the 1ohm 2watt, the second down is the 2ohm 1watt and the bottom is the .47ohm .5watt. Is this right? Trying to wire up my first fully custom saber now and I'm hung up on this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Yeah, the first thing I did was find one of these charts. I'm simply asking for verification of my work here. I've done it but I'm not 100% sure I'm correct.

Well, it's a bit hard for me to make out the various bands in your pictures. You may want to try more of a close up shot, and maybe someone else will look it over for you.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had to use a magnifying glass to be sure of the bands myself. I'm pretty sure I've got it right though. Top has a brown, black, gold, gold so that should be 10 x .1 = 1. Middle has red, black, gold, gold so 20 x .1 = 2. The thing that kept nagging me was that the top resistor is larger than the middle resistor and to my mind it didn't seem logical that the larger resistor would be the smaller value but that 1ohm resistor is 2 watts whilst the 2ohm resistor is 1 watt so maybe that accounts for size?? Who knows right, but if I am to trust the bands, those are their values. Thanks for looking at it anyway.

The size is because of the wattage of the resistor, it will take that much more space to dissipate the heat.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I bought two of your three:

0.47ohm, 0.5w resistor (Yellow-Violet-Silver)
    1ohm, 2w resistor (Brown-Black-Gold)

The odd one out is the one I didn't mention.