Thread: Greetings from Manchester (And a small parts-clarification request ;) )

Red face Greetings from Manchester (And a small parts-clarification request ;) )

Hi all
    New to the saber scene... So new in fact that I don't own any type of saber at all ... Yet! I hope to be quite active (As long as children, work etc allow) within these forums

A short introduction - I'm a 26 year old computing (Uni and college) lecturer from Manchester England and contrary to my Jedi-name generator username, I'm called Rob

I have a 4 and almost 3 year old both mega into Star Wars just like daddy and I think it's time to give them a personal gift from myself related to an interest they have... So here I am, at your mercy and may occasionally require some of your vast knowledge... Grovelling over.

So I've read many threads, viewed many videos and mulled over many different selections and have come up with the following list of parts ready to order this week for my first saber...
    First of all, my requirements are ambitious but I'm quite a capable solderer (Solderman, Solderite?) I would like a nice bright blade, flash on clash, swing noise and a lighted power button to start me off... Now, the list I have in my basket are as follows:

Nano soundboard
    MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 17
    MPS Insert style 6 MPS Insert style 6
    MPS Clip MPS Clip
    8-32 x 3/8" Stainless Steel thumb screw 8-32 x 3/8" Stainless Steel thumb screw
    8-32 x 3/8" socket head 8-32 x 3/8" socket head
    Machined button for Covertec clip Machined button for Covertec clip
    Luxeon Rebel Star Luxeon Rebel Star (Green)
    Star thermal tape pad Star thermal tape pad
    Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
    Luxeon Rebel Lens Holder Luxeon Rebel Lens Holder
    1ohm 5w resistor 1ohm 5w resistor
    MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers
    NB V2 MWS Header and Wiring Harness NB V2 MWS Header and Wiring Harness
    18650 Single Cell Holder 18650 Single Cell Holder
    TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery (2-pack) TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery (2-pack)
    TrustFire TR-001 All-in-One Charger TrustFire TR-001 All-in-One Charger
    26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) 26 gauge wire (sold by the foot) (Black)
    1/16" Heatshrink tubing 1/16" Heatshrink tubing
    1/8" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing 1/8" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing
    3/16" Heatshrink tubing 3/16" Heatshrink tubing
    16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Green Ring Switch 16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Green Ring Switch
    9" Electronics shield for 1.25" ID tubes 9" Electronics shield for 1.25" ID tubes
    MPS Pommel style 10 MPS Pommel style 10
    MHS Extension Blank Style 3 MHS Extension Blank Style 3
    MHS choke style 1 short MHS choke style 1 short
    Hilt style 4 Hilt style 4 ?Machine recessed 16mm AV switch hole

Any suggestions, improvements, modifications etc are warmly welcomed... I am simply the padawan and you are the masters (Ok... A little more grovelling)

Thanks for reading!

Rob

First, Welcome to the Forums.

For the electronics, A single die LED will not allow for FoC. You would need a multi-die (Tri-Cree) setup.

As for the hilt, it seems a bit small, possibly too small. What I would recommend is you maybe get yourself a Photobucket account (if you don't already have one), get a screenshot of your saber from the MHS saber builder, and then load it into your photo bucket account, and post it so we can physically see the hilt. As you look around, you'll see other examples of people posting their proposed hilts for us to review.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hi
    Thanks for the reply!
    Sounds like a big rethink of the electronics... Extender and tri-led is what I understand so far from a forum search.. As for the hilt - here is the proposed design

Regards
    Rob

OK, the electronics will easily fit into that.

Depending on the main LED color you will be using, the resistors you have might be "too big" spec wise.
    Also, if you go for a Tri-Cree, you will need the proper lens for it. You will also need a small resistor for the Green LED in your switch. I see the speaker mount, but no actual speaker in your list. You might also want to organize your list into Hilt parts and Electronic components to make it easier for everyone to go through, and for you to keep track of things.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hi, thanks for that - I'll reorganise the list and post in the LED forum for the right audience. I know I'm not a million miles away but I don't want to pay $50 overseas shipping to realise I've forgotten something!
    The speaker was out of stock so wasn't copied over
    Thanks for the help so far!
    Rob