Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick resistor check

It's driving me nuts, I'm in exactly the same situation : nano biscotte, 18650 3.7V battery cell and P4 blue led.
    Of course the resistance calculator gives me the same result : 1ohm, 2W.
    I don't understand this result : the blue p4 forward voltage is 3.25v, thus resistor voltage is 0.45V, right ?
    If I wanna drive my led at 1000mA, R = voltage/current gives me 0.450ohm.
    A 1ohm resistor will give 450mA and 200mW.
    No doubt I'm wrong, could some point me what I'm missing ?
    I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do, I don't mind.

If you "Do the math" yourself, you will generally get "lower" values. The one thing people tend to miss is that when you "resistor" something, you get HEAT. The "weaker" the resistor, the more HEAT you get. Could you maybe get away with a .83 Ohm 1/2 W resistor? Probably. You would have to run the setup outside of a hilt for quite a while to see how hot the resistor gets, and if you can live with that. Also, those calculators exist for those who hate math, or don't get Ohm's law. If you REALLY want to know how you got the answer they gave you, you would have to ask the calculator's maker.

Personally, I tend to "do the math" myself, but I also have to live with my calculations in my builds. With that said, when we answer questions from "newbies" in subjects like this, we typically rely on our collective experiences, and answer accordingly. If something gets recommended by an experienced member of the community, it's because they have done it (probably over and over), it works and so they share it. This is a hobby and we tend to "play it safe". We don't want people blinding themselves, or hilts blowing up in hands, or tons of parts getting melted, or otherwise borked... we're funny that way.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 10-20-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

No problem about just doing what the calculator or experienced members recommends. It's just for my own understanding for not being a noob forever .

You said :
    Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    If you do the math manually it's 1 Ohm-1 Watt, so what you have will work (playing it safe).
    I just wanted to know how you do the math to get that result .

Thanks again.

Edit : BTW I read the Nanobiscotte manual and I will probably use the NB "drive" paramer and go without resistor as FenderBender adviced.
    Last edited by JeromeV; 10-20-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeV View Post
    No problem about just doing what the calculator or experienced members recommends. It's just for my own understanding for not being a noob forever .

You said :

I just wanted to know how you do the math to get that result .

Thanks again.

Edit : BTW I read the Nanobiscotte manual and I will probably use the NB "drive" paramer and go without resistor as FenderBender adviced.
    OK, quickie review of OHM'S LAW:

Required resistor for the FoC circuit :
    R = (Vpack – Vf die) / FoC current
    R = (3.7 – 3.3) / 1(A) = .4 / 1 = .4 Ohm

Wattage of the resistor :
    P = RxI2
    P = .4 * 1^2 = .4 W

So based on the above, technically something like a .62 Ohm, .5 Watt resistor (since resistors only come in certain sizes, you usually will have to round up) could have worked, I then rounded up because I don't want to have to deal with the paperwork involved if a padawan gets himself/herself maimed while working on their first saber. Plus some resistors are more common (read: easier to find and cheaper) than others. Safety first!
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 10-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

So my math were not so bad .
    I'm just missing xp to adjust to more realistic values.

Many thanks

Your math was correct, just the units of measurement were off.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines