Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a droidbuilder on planet Hoth!

Default Hello from a droidbuilder on planet Hoth!

Hi everyone!
    I'm a sabern00b. I'm currently building an all metal Astromech, but as some of you may know building a full on droid is a tedious business - Soooo I want a side-project to fiddle with while waiting for more sweet sweet aluminium to arrive for the droid. I'm hoping to build a rechargeable LED MHS saber with the Petit Crouton board. I was a COMPLEAT n00b to electronics/soldering before starting the droid, but after soldering hundreds of tiny LEDs, resistors and chips for his circuitry I'm getting confident enough to give building a saber a go. My usual haunt is astromech.net (1200+ posts), so I know how annoying n00bs and the endless repetition of basic questions can be. Hopefully this forum works like the ones I'm used to -> most info is allready here, I just need to research/read....and then search again, hehe. Hopefully I'll find what I need on my own without being a PITA. If I DO ask a retarded question, believe me, I have tried to find the answer on my own first

So instead of asking silly questions - is there any build threads that is elementary reading for a beginner wanting a high-end result, and is there any pitfalls to avoid?

If you're curious about me droid check out my blog at http://norwegianr2.blogspot.com/ or come say hi at astromech.net (I'm norlemann123 there aswell)

Cheers

Lasse
    Last edited by norlemann123; 05-21-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: spelling, bah

Well here what I went with:
    n00b! So you want to build a MHS saber huh?
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682
    The Saber Building Dictionary
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ing-Dictionary
    Thread Index
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...3-Thread-Index
    New to the scene forum
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ene-Start-Here

With all this you should be fine.
    Saber-smith Beginner - Still working

Holy mother of crap! i didnt even know there was a R2-D2 builders club!!i just looked at astromech.net and i am floored at the quality of those droids.I think your more than qualified to make a saber if you are spending your time turning out R2 units...well done indeed!

Lasse!

I just posted the other day about starting a build here. Robkashikoi on the astro forums. Nice to see you here.

Madmaxx, check my previous post for a link to my R2 if you are interested.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob; 05-21-2012 at 05:44 PM.

I just looked at your R2 building blog. I must say that your skills are very impressive. Would you mind tellimg me how much you payed for all of the components? I'm assuming its a tad bit expensive.

Hi Rob! Small nerdworld, eh?

Evilpancreas - the type of all metal droid I'm building doesn't involve any mad metalworking skills I'm afraid. Some modding here and there, but that's about it. Metal parts are made in part-runs by various builders in the club, so much of it is just bolt on. The main skill you need to build an all metal astromech is patience - collecting the parts might take 2yrs... Price depends a bit, but if your selling your soul to the aluminium devil you're looking at 10-15000 USD for a complete working RC droid with all the bells and whistles. Quite a lot, but as it is spread over 2-3 years it's doable.

BUT we have builders who make their droids out of Styrene or wood/mixed media aswell. It involves more skills, but for a tenth of the price you'll get a droid no one can tell apart from the metal ones

I think you are being a bit modest, Lasse. Your astromech is outstanding.

Rob

Beautiful droid sir, should be a fitting partner for your saber! I guess you might consider making a gas/spring loaded chamber for him to fire your saber to you when needed. Hee hee. Seriously though, good luck with your build (both) and there are many fantastic people here willing to help out, should ease the difficulties you might face considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Beautiful droid sir, should be a fitting partner for your saber! I guess you might consider making a gas/spring loaded chamber for him to fire your saber to you when needed. Hee hee...
    Hehehe - one of our parts suppliers is looking into that very gadget! The biggest problem is the lack of space/height inside the dome. A full scale Luke saber is too high - it will catch on the frame and hinder the dome from rotating the full 360 degrees. But a shortened version could work - or a custom one

That's simply amazing. That's definitely been chalked up as one of my "do before I die" kind of things.