Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: LEDengin 5w and 10W info and wiring guide....for noobs

Council Member
    Jedi Master

What are you needing the Power Extender for? A stock FX board won't really run a LEDengin to even close its full potential. Also, 3 AAA batteries (if its a newer one) won't run it for crap. Unless you plan on gutting the entire saber in favor of a Petit Crouton, I'd stick with a DX RGB for the conversion.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Ok all lets try this out and see if i can wire it up lol

G/W Foc setup
    Source voltage = 7.4
    diode forward voltage = 6.58
    diode forward current (mA) = 1200

Resistor = 1 ohm 1.4 Watt capable so im thinking 1 ohm 1 watt resistor now will this be Bright enough or what should i do someone mentioned use 1/4 the wattage it says ???????

Just wondering.... Is a LED Engine 10watt whatever... the same size as a P4 or Lux Rebel ??? Im asking for heat sink mounting purposes.. I am planning on a build where the hilt diameter is a little smaller than the MHS bodies. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StickStickly View Post
    Just wondering.... Is a LED Engine 10watt whatever... the same size as a P4 or Lux Rebel ??? Im asking for heat sink mounting purposes.. I am planning on a build where the hilt diameter is a little smaller than the MHS bodies. Thanks
    It's 3/4 of an inch across.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Yes, the LEDEngin stars are the same size as the P4 and rebel stars. 20mm.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Hello again... Just wondering.. Is there a picture on how to #1 Wire in Parallel VS Series..... I know the pic at the front of this thread has a pic of Series wiring but not one of Parallel. I cant seem to find it anywhere.... Need to see a pic of the 10watt wired up in parallel Please?

#2 The pic on here I saw for a full powah ! set up wasnt... well.. in a way I could figure out... Is ther a pic of the LED wired up this way also ?

Thanks

Hello again... Just wondering.. Is there a picture on how to #1 Wire in Parallel VS Series..... I know the pic at the front of this thread has a pic of Series wiring but not one of Parallel. I cant seem to find it anywhere.... Need to see a pic of the 10watt wired up in parallel Please?

#2 The pic on here I saw for a full powah ! set up wasnt... well.. in a way I could figure out... Is ther a pic of the LED wired up this way also ?

Thanks
    parallel wiring means that each of the LEDs + pads are connected directly to the PCs LED +output pads. The negative pads are likewise connected to the PCs LED negative pads. That could be a lot of wiring so instead you can connect the PC LED output+ pad to one of the LED+ pads and then connect that to one or more of the LED+ pads. do the same for the - pads.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Thanks
    Here's one I did recently:

You can see there is a metal jumper (an extra piece of the wire used on a resistor) on the positive pads for the blue and green dies. That creates the parallel connection and will then require one wire for the led +. The negatives were to the separate pads for the leds, with a resistor on the blue to reduce the brightness to blend the colors for a specific shade. The two negatives were then soldered together just before the connector I used.

The specific shade being cyan:

The resistor was a 10ohm, 1 watt, but a lower wattage could also have been used. The 1 watt resistor was all I had on hand at the time.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

So unlike series wiring... You bridge the + of the two dies you want making 1 + lead and then you have 2 seperate - leads where you can put the required resistor.. then merge the two - leads after the resistor and before the connector. Did I understand that correctly ? If so this was a very big help Thanks JGJ

Is there a pic around for a full powah ! set up ?
    Last edited by StickStickly; 04-28-2012 at 04:52 PM.