Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: fau-pa's first saber (erv's petite crouton/ledengin 10w)

Great build, a really nice, original design as well as being jolly quick! I like to see the pride you are taking in your work. Re; grips, remember that you may well make changes over the following months, refinements and such. And it looks like you have the tools to do so. Will keep watch on this thread with enthusiasm.

this is sweet, everything looks so great! machining is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Well, I may be a Philistine, but I think your current grips are fabulous. I am not generally a fan of the rubber grips, but yours made me think about making a rubber-gripped one of my own... for a minute.
    ha i will keep them for now. i don't think i want to change them unless i can make a mold to turn out my own.

thank you very much brett and dustunite. wiring this saber up is becoming a pain. i guess that's what i get for picking one of the more complex setups for my first build. i started work on this thing without having any of the electronic bits in my possession. getting everything i want inide this saber is going to take some serious work.

tomorrow is going to be a big day. i will be milling out all the passages for the wires to go through. might even get the heat sync finished. hope to have some pics of the progress posted up for you all this time tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by fau-pa ramid View Post
    i guess that's what i get for picking one of the more complex setups for my first build. i started work on this thing without having any of the electronic bits in my possession. getting everything i want inide this saber is going to take some serious work.
    What an intriguing statement! What are you planning to put in it?

And remember... there's always Mark II.

Sorry for not responding sooner I have been pretty busy lately. I plan on putting a petit crouton v1.6, a 2w speaker, a led engin 10w led (RGGB wired up fora a cyan color) , two 14670 li ion cells, and I will be trying to get a tcss PLI in the switch box with the switches. The last part might be a bit tricky we will have to see.

very original! i would love to have a unique saber milled just for me. MHS is great, but man that is one-of-a-kind.

ah, switchbox design. thats holding up my MHS #2 right now. how to cram so much into a tiny box, and still figure out how to get it all on the saber once its done!?

cant wait to see electronics installed in your saber!
    NOMING YOUR POWER CABLES SINCE 2007

MHS #1 "Coppertop" CFX Neopixel
    MR 616 "Joe Jedi"
    LDM converted Korbanth LS6 (Hero with PC 1.6 and FOC)
    Vintage graflex ANH - probably staying static
    Disney Savi Saber Peace and Justice (experience was worth it)

Thanks bud. you are not going to have to wait very much longer. i am making some proggress on getting the guts all wired up and crammed into the hilt.

first things first i have been playing with my soldering iron. i made a battery pack out of two aw 14670 cells. its pretty strait forward and was probably the easiest thing i made so far. all you really do is make sure you understand the tutorials, get a good iron, and Wear Safety Glasses.

next i wired up my petite crouton and made a simple pvc sled for it all to sit on. soldering on the PC was one of the more tense moments in this build. i must have read the manual front to back 30 times before i started but after a bit i was like "if i screw up oh well". everything got better after that. the card is wired for flash on clash you can see the Power Xtender™ on top of the bored.

here is a shot of the pvc sled with the speaker mounted in it. i am mounting the speaker toward the emitter end of the saber so i had to cut slots around the edges of the speaker so the wires could pass beside it to the top of the saber.

and here is everything mocked up. i still need to make sure nothing is going to short out but this is how it will all sit.

i finally got the heat sync finished. this piece was the corner stone of my design and so far the most complicated piece. all the measurements were way more critical then anything else on the saber. i think it turned out pretty well. its kind of sad no one is ever going to see it because so much work went into getting it right.

this is the slots for the wires from the ledengin to pass through.

and this is a hole for the wires from the led that is going to be in the stainless "eye" to feed back to the board.

the eye threaded into the heat sync

everything assembled

last thing i did to the blade holder was mill a slot for the wires from the switch-box to pass through.

the last thing about this update is i got my PLI from the shop and all the leds are diffrent colors. it has six green, one orange, and three red. this makes sense but i want them all to be blue so i am going to try and take them all off and replace them with some blue 0805 surface mounting Leds. it might not work with the chip but if that fails then i will just have to figure out how to make my own bar graph.

more posts to come. hope you enjoy -Pat

I love the custom machine work. great job on that heat sink!

Nice progress.
    Yub Yub Commander.