Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: activation switch help

Default activation switch help

i want to know how to use a grafix clamps card as a on/off switch and is there any certian type of wiring i need to do this.

PICTURES WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

thanks and may the force be with you

I can't see how you'd use the card in the activation of a saber. Personally, I mounted a tactile switch with a long plunger in the side rectangular box of the Graflex clamp routing the wires through the center of the clamp and into a hole in the hilt.

It could be done as a "touch on / touch off" switch, but that would be tricky. When you say "card" I think you're meaning the rectangular strip that connects the parts??? Not so much the clamp?

As you said: pictures would be helpful, lol...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I know I just saw someones pics of how they did this not too long ago, look around I'm sure you'll find it.

What they did was mount a sliding switch inside the activation box and then add 2 small pegs to the underside of the card which would sit on top of the switch knub so you would essentially slide the card to move the switch....make sense?
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Default madcow

I think Madcow actually made the card a switch somehow. He is really creative with the sabersmithing.

Thumbs down

Thanks for the reply and how would i go about doing the touch on touch off thing Novastar metioned so i know how to do it for future sabers

Doesn't Parksabers have something like that on their new Phase Sabers? That would be cool to have a touch activated saber but it might be prone to accidental switching.

Quote Originally Posted by darth chaos View Post
    Thanks for the reply and how would i go about doing the touch on touch off thing Novastar metioned so i know how to do it for future sabers

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I've got an older Parks Malestrom 2 saber that has that type of activation. You touch a screw, and the electrical conductivity of your skin completes the circuit and turns on the saber.

If you're trying to duel with, or spin your saber, it's very annoying. Unless you wear gloves (I've seen people do this, but they have to turn they saber on and off with their nose or chin ), your saber will keep turning on and off cuz you'll keep touching the screw.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I've got an older Parks Malestrom 2 saber that has that type of activation. You touch a screw, and the electrical conductivity of your skin completes the circuit and turns on the saber.

If you're trying to duel with, or spin your saber, it's very annoying. Unless you wear gloves (I've seen people do this, but they have to turn they saber on and off with their nose or chin ), your saber will keep turning on and off cuz you'll keep touching the screw.
    I have had the same problem with mine that i ordered from Parksabers. I baught a Fury from them a few years back, and that touch screw for activation does get annoying, plus the saber tends to burn through batteries like crazy.
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"

so, if you just want to mount an activation box to a hilt piece or sink tube, would it be best to tap and die through the box onto the hilt? or will that essentially get in the way of wiring or the card sliding over?
    Temporis

"Execute Order 66!"