Thread: Led-Strip Blade with 4 Strips, Diffusion, comparison, general review

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Led-Strip Blade with 4 Strips, Diffusion, comparison, general review

Hey guys,
    some weeks are over now since I started my blade-building projects. It was lots of fun, but of course partly horribly frustrating to some degree too, I tried alot of diffusion materials, different PVC types and my goal was nothing less than building the brightest LED-Strip Blade ever seen.
    So of course I was into going for 3 strips at least until I found a shop that had an acrylic fourangled rod 8mm where i could install 4 sk 6812 strips onto.
    After some fails I really accomplished to get it running with the tcss v2 11pins connector and a 30 amps unprotected 3120mah 18650.
    There were two seconds I was so proud to watch it lighting up but after that i was instantly disappointed as ..ing hell..
    No way to diffuse it properly without heavy corncobbing to a degree where I had to get so much more diffusing material that it was much dimmer than any of my 2 strip blades so that the whole project was dead for me.
    The point is: even with the same diffusion material of my 2 strip-blades, which are really sophisticated near to perfection meanwhile I can say proudly, that 4-strip blade with that bad corncobbing wasnt even much brighter to the human eye.
    So, if you wanna build a stupid bright blade I can tell u ALL: forget about more strips or going for adafruits instead of chinese ones... ITīS ALL ABOUT DIFFUSING YOUR 2 STRIPS.
    Original adafruits wont be brighter than cheap ones, as long as they work at all..just more reliable
    Forget the W2182bs, these 11 or 12 mms will always give u some kind of shadow at least in comparison to the 7.5 mm sk 6812s.

In terms of diffusion I can tell you all, and I canīt stress enough: TCSS did a FCKN AWESOME JOB on these plastic diffusors and foam-diffuser-tubes. I tried so many different things, of course all mixed into different variations, from toilet paper to clear package tape, christmas-gift clear-foil, cellophane, tcss corbin film, 1mm package foam, 2mm package foam, TCSS foam, heatshrinks, special LED-enhancing fckn expensive scotch tapes.
    The closest you can get to a blade without shadowzones and without corncobbing and still as bright as possible is to glue a strip of doublesided 6mm clear tape onto both sides of the doublestrips, straight over the 5mm lightemitting sections, then you glue a selfcut 6mm strip package foam onto these. Then you wrap that into 4 to 5 layers of clear package tape and put this into the foam diffuser from the TCSS shop, try to get a snug-fit, if not go for more layers of tape.

After that itīs up to you: you can either wrap that foam now into 4 layers of clear package tape again for a snug-fit and put it into a transwhite thickwalled blade, so you dont need the plastic diffuser and you will have a perfectly even lit transwhite duelready blade. Yes, trust the transwhites, they do a nice diffuserjob there. But not the thinwalleds unfortunately.
    Or you put the foam diffuser into the plastic diffuser and get it into a photon or clear blade and you are good to go without shadow zones or any corncobbing.

At last I have to say: I am a bit disappointed by these photonic tubes. Itīs not only that I donīt like that light-in-a-tube-look, I clearly love these transwhite thickwalled blades most, they give that perfectly even-lit look and make the blade look fuller. Also you can drill out a white tip with a hand-dremel so that itīs lit with the last pixel in it and it looks the same as the blade, lit or unlit.
    Itīs just... that photon doesnīt make it so much brighter as many postulate it. It has a nice color on blue only, a very unique green, but with green and blue together it wonīt be so much brighter at all, so donīt be too disappointed if you go for the photonic-strip blade. Thereīs a great difference in having more lumen on a blade and seeing it with human eyes.
    Not to be able to have all colours going that a prizm 5.1 offers you is not worth that marginal clue of more brightness to that photon-blade, sorry to say. >overhyped

Sorry, I donīt have photos or videos on this but I can guarantee you that it wonīt help anyhow, a blade on camera and in real is just too much difference to tell anyone which one is brighter or more evenly diffused, you simply cant recognize it if itīs about the last fine corrections for perfection.

I hope I could help some of you with enthusiastic projects on blade-builds, may the force and brightness be with You
    Last edited by erazer; 09-30-2018 at 09:20 AM.