Thread: Double Bladed Lightsaber Coupler (Separable)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Double Bladed Lightsaber Coupler (Separable)

So, like many people, I would love to have a coupler that allows you to connect 2 lightsabers and disconnect on the spot (rather than unscrewing).

I did a lot of research and came across these threads (in case any of you want to see more ideas and stuff).
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ign-idea/page2
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ded-lightsaber

And also this genius who inspired my idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPpiAJeaXI

In the video, the guy shows that you can fit a sinktube adapter perfectly over a blade holder (style 1). My idea was to make 2 rectangular holes in the sinktube adapter, and 2 rectangular holes in the blade holder. Then, I would cut the blade holder (style 7, the angled one) to make some sort of angled plates that would go through the hold of the blade holder (from the inside). The plates would be pushed into position with springs inside the blade holder.

To lock, you just slide the sinktube adapter over the tip of the blade holder. The "plate's" shorter end (since its angled) would be low enough to let it pass. As it goes further, the plate would go down due to the springs. Then, once the rectangle holes are aligned, the plate would spring up into the adapter's hole and then lock it into place. It would lock into place since the plate's higher end would be pressing up against the hole of the adapter.

To unlock, would be as simple as pressing both plates at the same time (to compress the springs). This would allow the adapter to slide back out.

Please excuse my drawing. 1. is the blade holder with the rectangular holes 2. is the adapter with the rectangular holes 3. is an "x-ray" view of the blade holder with the "plates". The thick rectangles on the right side represents the blade holder (after the holes). The plates are the angled parts. Inside the blade holder, there are 2 circles pressing up against the insides of the blade holder. Those circles are holding A metal plate for the springs to press up on. You might not be able to see, but there tiny dot on the corner of the "angled plates" are points where they are held down (for stability).

IMG_3989.jpg

This is the same mechanism that we see in a lot of places. When I assemble my trampoline, there are 2 spring loaded studs that pop into the other parts hole. Same with the vacuum cleaner extension.

Please, tell me what you think! Any ideas, suggestions or anything welcome. ALSO, would love to hear OTHER ideas for "on the spot" separable coupler. Give me all you got My goal is to one day make one where the pommels would look the same on both lightsabers. I have some ideas for some, but I don't have the means to cut it (machining).
    Attached Images Attached Images