Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
Well, there are also people selling lightsabers, but that hasn't stopped people from posting wiring schematics for LED's, etc. I don't see why the sound board DIY'ers would be more secretive, but I guess they're just not really in tune (pun intended) with the idea of open source.
While this is a DIY community for the most part, this community wouldn't be where it is without the hard (and tireless) work of many, who spent countless hours of research and money to design and develop things like sound cards, etc. etc. Why would they be so secretive, it's called Intellectual Property (otherwise known as IP). The fact that we tend to share quite a bit of what we know is to help spread the joy. Those who work hard deserve some reward for their efforts, since they spend the money and time to produce said soundboards. And some of the people who sell lightsabers spent lots of time designing and creating these "functional works of art" for others to enjoy, who don't have the skills, machinery or abilities to build for themselves. We don't HAVE to share what we know, many of us help new people to the community out of the goodness of our hearts...

As SS said, if you're so into open source, go ahead and crank out a sound card design of your own, we'll wait... I'll check back with you in a year or so...