Thread: 2nd Lightsaber - First with Sound

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2nd Lightsaber - First with Sound

Greetings everyone.

I've decided to begin work on my second lightsaber project (well; technically my third). My first saber was a stuntsaber; light but no sound. The second saber was one for a friend; he designed it and I assembled it for him (it was also a stuntsabor). For this build I would like to include sound in my design, and acquired a Mace Windu MR FX soundboard for just that.

I'm posting for two reasons:
    1) To list the parts I believe I need and see if you, the veterans, can tell me if I'm missing anything (I don't want to screw up, of course).
    2) To ask a few questions regarding the build that I'm a bit confused on.

So, on to the first reason; the list of parts.

- MHS Blade Holder style 18
    - 8-32 x 1/4" button head screw
    - Double ended male threaded connector
    - 1.2" Double Female
    - Hilt style 2 with guarded style switch hole
    - MPS Pommel style 7
    - MPS Insert style 6
    - MPS Clip for Pommel
    - DPDT Latching green illuminated switch
    - Bezel for illuminated switches
    - 8-32 x 13/32" Black Thumb Screw
    - 1-1/2" x 12" Chrome sink tube
    - Black machined button for Covertec clip
    - 8-32 x 1/4" socket head
    - Necessary powdercoating orders

- MR FX Mace Windu soundboard
    - MHS speaker and battery holder
    - 2 Wire quick connector
    - Extra wire; just in case
    - Necessary heatshrink
    - I plan on either reusing the green Seoul P4 LED I already have installed in my stuntsaber or ordering another LED with the Seoul P4 Electronics Kit; probably the former.

I already have a tap and drill set for the 8-32 screws.

And a render of the saber in question, and as you can see it is heavily based on Qui-Gon Jinn's design. The total length will be 11". The covertec clip button is not there because I haven't decided where I want it yet.

So... what am I missing or what did I get wrong, because I'm sure there's something I've missed.

So on to part 2; the questions.

I plan to wire everything similarly to how Jay-gon Jinn wired his CS-21 saber, and did not notice a resistor for the illuminated switch (which I will also be using). I'm confused because every other thread I read says that a resistor is needed for the illuminated switches. Is this not needed for an FX soundboard?

Will the 1-1/2" sink tube fit over the powdercoated MHS parts, because if not then that's a big problem for the design.

Finally a conundrum; I got the Mace Windu board off an eBay auction. However, it did NOT come with the multi-wire plug that I see in all other builds; it has the insert for that plug on the board, but the wires themselves are not there, so I do not see how I will be attaching the LED to the board. Does anyone know of a place where I can purchase one of these plugs?

Thank you for your time; any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Hageshii01; 01-04-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Im not an expert, but I did not have any sorts of plugs when I ordered my MRFX board from ebay. I think that if you want one, you must put it yourself. I only soldered all LED -'s together tough..

And, I've heard that 1.5 sink tube won't fit over powder coated parts unless you have asked Tim to machine the parts OD's just a little smaller

When I say plug I mean the mass of wires that connect the LED and board together; the one where you have to connect a bunch of the wires together for the LED- and one wire for the LED+. You didn't have that either?

Fortunately the seller just responded to my question and is sending a replacement my way.

As for the 1.5 sink tube, I'll be sure to ask him if that is the case. Does he charge extra for that?

I apologize; I'm calling it a plug because I really have no idea what else to call it.

Look in that picture I have at the bottom of the first post; the part of the soundboard I circled with the rainbow of wires; that did not originally come with the soundboard when I bought it; I had no wires for the LED.

Fortunately the seller IS sending that part to me.