Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Workshops and Workbench

it has been a while. i have moved to a new apartment. and haven't been to heavy into DIY, mostly because i don't have a proper "work" place. unlike my grandpas house i don't have luxeries such as going out to the garage for a drill-press and also, the whole apartment thing. so iv decided to build a simi-mobile workbench to get rolling on projects agan! its got to be something i can move in/out easy. so. i spent some time on sketchup and this is what i came up with.

the top half is detachable. the legs of the workbench are recycled from an old computer desk. ones shown aren't the exact legs. the ones used are vertical normal legs so it will hold a lot more weight.
    the sketch up is just the general design. looking forward to seeing updates to your guys's workspace or those who havn't posted please feel free. want some ideas!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    best blaster refracting emitter... 450 Imperial Credits
    custom quadrinineum crystal... 1020 Imperial Credits
    droxsus catheum power cell... 400 Imperial Credits

knowing you just built the most awesome saber... priceless. there are some things money can't buy for everything else. there's the Master Imperial Credit card.

more work done to the workbench and i have to say. i'm a bit impressed with how it is turning out!

still working on the light. the one i had bought didn't come with a cord. and is meant for solid core, so i'm looking for a different light unit.

knowing you just built the most awesome saber... priceless. there are some things money can't buy for everything else. there's the Master Imperial Credit card.

and project is nearly complete. just need to find some pegboard and hardware (going to have to wait until i get more cash. resources depleted)

with a few minor design changes. it turned out BETTER than planned.. (uncommon)
    have a look!

That's a nice little setup you have made there. Good work!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

and the final product! can't believe i didn't do this much earlier. was MUCH easier than i had expected. and the project only costed $140~ overall, after all this was sed and done. i found that harbor freght sells kits to build your own for only $100.. however the quality is nowhere near the good ole wood. the kit was made of super-thin stamped steel. so i'm glad i did my own from scratch. for those living in apartments or low on space. its a great alternative to the full-size workshop!

eventually ill be looking at getting a mini drill-press/lathe but that's a ways down the road.

PS: can't wait ot see other peoples shops/benchs! please share!

I'm in the progress of upgrading mine but I will be sure to share when it is finished!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Danz, what is that contraption you have on your workbench, the one with all the dials and knobs?

A benchtop power supply I assume?

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

I decided to post a few pics of my work area. I am currently moving it from my room ( large bungalow room at back of parents rental home) into our huge 4 car garage (used for storage of junk). Sadly we rent, and have to move in 8-12 months time as they are demolishing the home to rebuild units. But it will suit my needs for now. Yes I also currently have 3 custom builds on the go at once Front one is an idea of a Jedi relic for a workmate, the back two are my own Sith customs. Juggling my hobby with work and study means it takes a long time to complete anything.
    20140309_172533.jpg20140309_172607.jpg20140309_172549.jpg20140309_172541.jpg

edit: sorry for blurry quality of pics, my Samsung s4 phone decided to be cheeky again today.
    Last edited by Revathor; 03-09-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    "A lightsaber is an interesting weapon. A blade unique in the history of warfare. A paradox, not unlike the Jedi who wield it: those peaceful warriors, who kill in the service of life. Have you ever noticed? The blade is round. It has no edge. But it is a lightsaber—which means it is nothing but edge. There is no part of this blade that does not cut. Curious, yes? Symbolic, one might say."
    ―Vergere

Here's my workstation... A fully functional and operational snowboard/ski repair bench with a guide for my handsaw, snowboard vices, quick grips, sandpaper, tape and glue

and now with soldering iron
    (out of picture)

IMG_0206.jpg
    "NO! This one goes here, that one goes there"-H.S.

Saber building in a nut shell, as told by a smuggler