Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Mastery

No, BOP, I can't miss the point when you never made one in the first place. My criticisms of your last post stand.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
    No, BOP, I can't miss the point when you never made one in the first place. My criticisms of your last post stand.
    no you make my point excatly... Rude snarky and generally unhelpful....
    Last edited by beggarsoutpost; 04-04-2012 at 02:34 PM.

KI-ADI-MUNDI on FX-SABERS.com

Since I started this thread and it was questioned above why I did so I wish to clarify that it was NOT intended to "bash" those new to TCSS or the saber hobby. It has never been my intention to drive any new members away from Strydur's business by being rude to them and I hope I have never done so. I have tried to be helpful and encouraging to new saber hobbyists and have at times even 'spoon fed' those who have asked questions, though I also understand the 'searching through clutter factor' makes it inadvisable to always do so when its the "same old question for the thousandth time". It was also NOT my intention for this thread to become a 'flame war'.

I think we all want new builders to SUCCEED in this hobby we love. We want TCSS forums and store to thrive and our hobby to keep growing stronger with new blood.

I will add what I hope will be a piece of helpful advice to new members that may lessen their chance of being 'noob flamed';

The more clearly FOCUSED and SPECIFIC you make any question[s] the less likely it will be a "same old question for the thousandth time" and the better it is likely to be received by the 'old guard'. If you FIRST make an honest effort to find your answer among the VAST base of knowledge on this DIY forum by reading the sticky posts, using the search function and 'doing your homework' the more likely you will find what information you need already here - and if not the more focused, specific, well defined, easily answered and thus more likely to be well received your new questions will be.

Remember your Focus determines your Destiny eh? That is no less true of posts here than anywhere else in life.

Good Luck with your builds and MTFBWY.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 04-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beggarsoutpost View Post
    no you make my point excatly... Rude snarky and generally unhelpful....
    Unhelpful? BOP, I explained in as much detail as possible why people get frustrated with noob behavior on this forum. What followed was a spirited but not unfriendly discussion arguing points back and forth, till the principal people involved in the most recent rounds decided we'd reached an impasse, and decided to end things on friendly terms.

YOU come along and contribute nothing to the conversation. You did NOT address any of the points anybody made (especially mine), and made no attempts at arguing your views of things beyond, "Pfff... you're all being mean to newbs." That wasn't your words, but it was certainly your attitude. The matter was settled, and yet you provoked an argument, then singled me out when I called you on it. Have I noob bashed once on this forum? No I hadn't... not till you. Yeah, you've been registered on this site for five years; but you still boast of your ignorance, and apparently have a serious double-standard when it comes to how people should be treated on this board. In short... you're a noob! At least a lot of the others on here can claim ignorance of etiquette, forum rules, and knowledge due to inexperience... what's your excuse?

And you think I'M rude, snarky, and unhelpful?

Looks at join date - Hmmm. It says I've been around these parts since April 2006. Yes, I have a low post count - check all the other saber forums, and you will see I am not a prolific poster by any means. But I have seen a lot in my time.

For us 'olde guard' type, there is no winning in this situation. We have seen the same questions asked over and over. If we respond and tell the forum member do do some searching, we are branded as stuck up a-holes who don't want to help the new people. If we ignore the question, we get branded as stuck up a-holes who don't want to help the new people. If we answer the question, our inbox gets flooded with 100 new questions from said new member expecting us to answer every one of them - and when we suggest the answers are there and they should do some searching, we are branded as stuck up a-holes who don't want to help the new people.

I am sorry to say that I have been guilty of all three methods of answereing to a new member's question. I used to try and answer the questions - but then I grew tired of answering the posted question only to find a 3 page long PM in my inbox the next morning asking me to spell out step by step everything needed to build a saber. So I started telling people to use search, that's what it's for and the answers are on the forum. But that only bought me grief as I was branded a 'noob hater'. So I just stopped answering questions for the most part. Sure, I look like a stuck up snob trying to hoard all the secrets of the saber world to keep them to myself. But I don't get angry replies to my lack of a response.

I can understand how a new member can come to a forum like this and be instantly overwhelmed - there is a lot of information here. And it can be difficult to navigate the hundreds upon hundreds of threads spread out over 7 years to find that nugget of information they seek. But you have to remember one thing - we established members are not here on this forum to answer every question a new member might pose. We enjoy visiting this forum to read what our peers are doing, post our new builds and have some good times with our online friends. If we decide to answer questions, then that's a bonus to a member seeking an answer. More the most part, the information is there. If you honestly try to find it and can't, you will stand a much better chance of having your thread replied to when you ask for help. If you post that you want to know the resisitor for a red P4 with a 7.2V pack and you used the search engine and queried red led, then you can't expect to be spoonfed. (Oh and for the record, the store has a resistor calculator here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/wi...er/wiring.aspx) (oh and as an added bonus - to answer the question 'what is a blade holder and do I need one' - a blade holder will hold your blade and if you want a blade to be held, then you need one).

Edit - darn enter key

Anyways, don't take what I say too personally, I was just trying to bring a little levity to the conversation.

Enough already! This is one reason why many "elder members" don't visit or post on the forums (here or FX) all that often anymore. Many things tend to degenerate into pointless bickering. Another reason is the sense of "entitlement" that new people tend to come in with. Those are just 2 of the several reasons, but there are more. Failure to use the search button is a third biggie.

Trust me, we have seen a lot through the years.

Edit: FJK High-fives Acerocket
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 04-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

All this... Just to ask someone to check the date before suddenly necroposting... Sorry everyone, my bad.