Thread: Mounting a crystal focus board to the v2 speaker mount?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mounting a crystal focus board to the v2 speaker mount?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried to mount a crystal focus board to a battery pack while using the speaker mount version 2? I was curious to know if it works, and what people think of the mounting system, before I invest in the pieces.

I also had a secondary question, has anyone ever placed hot glue over their solders (on a board) once they finished soldering? Does it help with preserving the connections?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I have used the mount you asked about o place a CF on top of a battery pack. It does fit inside the MHS system. It's compact.

As for your hot-glue question...ideally, it's not needed. If you're soldering correctly (pre-tin your pads and wires, use a clean iron that can get hot fast and briefly touch the hot iron to both your pad and wire), you should have a solder joint that is smooth, shiny and uniform. That's a strong connection and shouldn't go anywhere.

MR used hot glue on their boards, but they did it because, honestly their soldering was crap. Videos of the manufacturing plant in China showing the assembly show soldering irons that were very large (wattage wise), not very clean, and things were in a hurried state to get done. MR used the hot-glue as a stopgap measure to make up for the lackluster soldering that was done.

yup, it'll work great, just like Jon said and looks something like this:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Yup I used it also, works good.

Jay,

Are you using a rechargeable on your light saber (which looks great by the way)?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Actually, there's a pair of them...those are the Li-Ion Trustfires that Tim sells in the store here.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.