Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars books--where to start?

Default Star Wars books--where to start?

I would like to get into reading Star Wars books again. I haven't read any since the mid-1990's, and since there are so many now and they all seem to tie together, I don't even know where to begin. Is there a particular story or series that you guys recommend?

Fate of the jedi is excellent series...

Heres few

Luke Skywalker and Shadows of Mindor
    The Force Unleashed (awesome as book)
    Darth Bane ( 3 book series)
    Last edited by Rafalema; 06-30-2010 at 05:10 AM. Reason: This is not the reason you are looking for.

The Star Wars novels usually have a timeline in the front, showing the titles of all the novels (regardless of author) and how they line up chronologically. That way you can read them in "order" if you like. It all depends on where you want to start. I hope that helps.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    Fate of the jedi is excellent series...
    fate of the jedi too far into it miss out on some key events and people too

start with the thrawn trilogy then go on by publication date or rather the time line in that one. do everything prior prequel releases then hit books after the fact. that's what i did to my friend he's fast reader though and is on the NJO stuff now. but yeah start with thrawn then go from there.

I do not suggest fate of the jedi yet since the series is not finished yet. also you can't read that till you understand what happened in the legacy novels which is everything leading to what happens in fate.
    ...YUP!

I've read a lot of the backstory (just not in detail) on Wookieepedia, so I have a vague understanding of everything that has happened. I've already read several post-ROTJ stories including the Thrawn and Corellian trilogies, but there are waay too many books at this point for me to read them all.

So are there a few gems that can stand on their own that I should look into? Should I just dive into the Legacy era? I definitely want to avoid non-canon stories.

you can start at The Bounty Hunter Wars
    Or Xwing series those two are after ROTJ
    so id say thats a good place to start
    The Dark Side Feels Good.
    I Love The Power.
    You Cant Stop Me.
    I Will Kill You...

None of the novels are canon. Only the 6 movies. I don't even think any of the cartoon series are considered canon by Lucas' various companies. As such, don't worry about it, lol.

Well, now that I think about it, I've heard that "Splinter of the mind's eye" is a bit off canon as compared to what happens in the movies after that book's timeline. I think it has Luke and Leia getting a bit romantic... ew!

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

See, I thought it was the opposite--that pretty much all the books and TV shows and comics were all considered canon unless directly contradicted by the movies. That's why some stories and time periods are/were off-limits as to not interfere with the events in the developing show/movies.

i like the Legacy Of The Force
    series and the NewJjedi Order ones
    The Dark Side Feels Good.
    I Love The Power.
    You Cant Stop Me.
    I Will Kill You...

I would say Splinter of the Minds eye. Good stuff, though it is a little off cannon. So I would just say Legacy of the Force series. Bloodlines to be exact, thats my favorite so far.