Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 questions

Lightbulb 2 questions

I have 2 easy questions to ask for building my first lightsaber.

1.) Can I use a 9v battery instead of the 4AAA battery holder.

2.) The quick connector? I guess I cut this right?(noob question)
    (Then I would strip away the rubber to have bare wire)

thank you for whoever decides to help thanks again!
    -The force is my ally.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

In answer to your first question, four AAA alkaline batteries will give you 6V. If you're using rechargeable NiMH batteries, they are 1.2V, so the total is 4.8V. To replace these with a 9V battery will almost double your voltage. Depending on your setup, this might be very bad. What is your setup?

The other thing to consider is that 9V batteries don't have much capacity. I don't know the exact numbers, but I know that your run time would go spiraling down the crapper.

For the quick connector, yeah, just cut it in the middle. This will give you the two ends you need. Pay attention, there's a stripe on one wire. Make sure that if you use these on your LEDs you wire them all with the same polarity so you can swap them with no trouble.

Hope that helps, and don't forget to post pictures when you're done. We are all photo whores here.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    In answer to your first question, four AAA alkaline batteries will give you 6V. If you're using rechargeable NiMH batteries, they are 1.2V, so the total is 4.8V. To replace these with a 9V battery will almost double your voltage. Depending on your setup, this might be very bad. What is your setup?

The other thing to consider is that 9V batteries don't have much capacity. I don't know the exact numbers, but I know that your run time would go spiraling down the crapper.

For the quick connector, yeah, just cut it in the middle. This will give you the two ends you need. Pay attention, there's a stripe on one wire. Make sure that if you use these on your LEDs you wire them all with the same polarity so you can swap them with no trouble.

Hope that helps, and don't forget to post pictures when you're done. We are all photo whores here.
    Hey thank you so much, I will go with the 4AAA batteries I researched a bit and saw what you mean.
    I am wiring two buckpucks 700mA together. with a mom Switch the 4AAA batteries and a Lux K2 Star green. HEHE I will post pictures once I am done, it is a one handed lightsaber, considering thats how I fight. I saw someone talking about leverage today and smiled cause well one handers dont have leverage, we can be over powered easily. but if it is easier for you and more comfortable you need to fight how you must fight hehe.
    -The force is my ally.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Actually, the buckpucks will handle up to 32V, so in that case, a 9V would be OK. A momentary switch won't work though. It would only stay on as long as you held the button in. You want a latching switch.

The green K2 is nice and bright, but just so you know, running 1400 mA out of the AAA's will only give you about 40 minutes of run time.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie View Post
    Actually, the buckpucks will handle up to 32V, so in that case, a 9V would be OK. A momentary switch won't work though. It would only stay on as long as you held the button in. You want a latching switch.

The green K2 is nice and bright, but just so you know, running 1400 mA out of the AAA's will only give you about 40 minutes of run time.
    What can I do to help that? or get more time out of it? thanks!
    Your amazing with this stuff man! Can I be your apprentice.? hehe
    -The force is my ally.

Parallel wire up a custom battery pack. This will double your mAh output.

Or switch to Lithium-Ion rechargeables, and yuou can run less battery for the same voltage.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Do not use a 9V for a luxeon. It won't do well.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Sorry, I should have been more clear. When I said that 9V would be OK, I meant that it would be OK to put 9V into a buckpuck, not that a 9V battery was OK.

If you have the room, you could put AA batteries instead of AAAs. You'll dramatically increase your run time. I don't know what kind of space you have. If you're putting them in a MHS hilt, the 4AA pack will fit, but measure your parts carefully to make sure you have enough room for everything.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4A...der--P134.aspx

Like Darth Morbius said, if you can make a battery pack out of Li-Ion batteries, you'll get even more punch in a smaller package.

You could also sacrifice some brightness and go with a Lux III. It won't be quite as bright as a K2, but it will last longer. If you have a good blade, it will still be pretty bright.

I hope that was helpful.

You could also save some money, space, and extend your run-time by running a K2 green with a 1000mA buckpuck. I have two, and they're very bright. I wish I had a 1400mA setup for comparison... but I don't.

But 1000mA is nice and bright. I'm using 4xAA and I haven't timed it, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting over 2 hrs of runtime at almost full brightness, with another hour or 2 at good brightness, and then 10 hrs at crap brightness (sometimes I try and drain my batteries, but I haven't had the patience yet... my saber just sits there for hours and hours, dim, but still lit).
    My MHS:

This is awesome advice you guys are great.

So, well my problem is Im making another lightsaber for my grilfriend and giving her the LUX III since she wants purple.

And Im making this other one for me. Which is small and one handed really.

You think I could pick up the 4AA battery pack at Radio Shack or.?
    I think it will fit it or at least should be able to .
    -The force is my ally.